Attention Canadians Do no Deal with Sweetwater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a pair of AKG 240 S headphones that retail for about $150 CND + tax. After going online and finding sweetwater selling them for $99 USD with $11 shipping it was a great deal, ending up costing me $120 CND. But a couple weeks later my bill for importing came in and it cost me $56.25 to import them due to a $30 brokerage fees. Sweetwater in the past undervalued the products so its customers wouldn't have to pay taxes, Canadian Customs nailed them for it so now we pay more. So it now has cost me around $170 for what I could have had right here. Stupid free trade agreement.

Sounds like a raw deal and I'm sorry for you,

But:

Did you inquire about brokerage fees? Was there any indication this might be the case? Is it there in some small type on their website somewhere? If it was not disclosed prior to sale you may have a case. I'd look into it.

When you say Canada Customs nailed you do you mean you were charged duty or were you actually charged duty and GST?

Also I thought the free trade (NAFTA) deals with products substantially manufactured in the US. Aren't AKG headphones made in Austria? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have never paid duty on anything electronic and American made but I do pay the GST on everything and it is converted to Canadian dollars first. A lot of people don't realize our government's not just going to sit around and do nothing about people buying from out of country, so you get charged a sales tax to bring it in. They just don't call it duty.

EDIT: I forgot the PST too.

Also, how were the headphones shipped?

Cal Weldon said:
J,

I was editing while you were posting

Cool..

I'm gonig to see briangt and i was told i can bring back 1000$ dutie and gst free.. !! WOOT!!

I once was raped from ups 300$ for a brokerage fee :( for my remote controled car. it was a wicked and fast car but 300$ to touch a box LAMEAGE!!

Why are you blaming Sweetwater for this? Because they are no longer breaking the law on your behalf? The taxes and charges for goods crossing the border are determined by the CDN gov't, and the shipping company charges their own fee as well. If you want the best deal then make sure it ships via USPS, their charges are minimal. DON'T use UPS, their brokerage fees are exorbitant. But don't blame the vendor, it's *YOUR* responsibility to determine tax and brokerage costs and pay them.

Take care,
Doug

I agree, never get something sent to you via UPS. Although their brokerage fees on expensive items are actually pretty decent, if the piece is worth over $1500-2000......;)

In the future if the item is say under 5 lbs or even 10 and the dimensions are relatively small check into shipping it express with fedex. It's obviously more expensive but you typically get it next day, and they eat the customs/duty. Which if it's coming from the states makes the price well worth it, IMHO. At least they used to do that, I had it done a few times last year, not sure if they still do.

Tristan

*never* deal with a courier company, unless you have an account and understanding with them.

I just got nailed by FedEx for the same thing, despite I deal with the CBSA directly. They said they "do not deal with external brokers" and dismissed my claim that I was authorized to act as my own broker for items valued <$2,000.

A quick call to a lawyer confirmed that any courier can charge what they want and you *have* to pay it, or else.

Next time a shipment shows up at the door by courier, I flat refuse it.

You basically just joined the brotherhood through the school of hard knocks, something the rest of us have gone through. I can list much worse cases than your own, believe me. If you had done some searching you would have seen the odd post about which US order houses are good to order from to Canada. Not that I have anything against the ones who only ship by courier, they likely have made a business decision that lower costs dealing with only courier companies outweighs added international sales. That's fine by me. May I suggest you only place an order with a US outfit when you have been confirmed by them that it will ship USPS :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.