Please help -- mystery phone call

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I missed a call on my cell phone from a strange number: 1 (411) 404-5000. When I tried to call it back, the system said "Ufortunately, we cannot complete your call as dialed". Indeed, it's very strange that there's such an area code, as 411 is what one dials to get directory assistance. Looking up this area code to figure out what geographic location it's referring to, I only found "reserved for special purposes". I called my wireless provider, but they had no clue. What's going on here?

Never return a call to a number you don't recognize. In your case the phone number was spoofed, and you weren't able to call back. Consider yourself lucky...

There are many scams out there where phone companies in small countries are in cahoots with criminal types to bilk people out of millions. The way it works is those companies set their rates at $100 per minute. Someone calls you with a phone number on that system and hangs up without leaving a message. You call back and the clock starts ticking. They answer, and then do their best to keep you talking for as long as possible. At the end of the month you find yourself with a $3000 phone bill.

This was big in some carribean countries a few years ago.

I_F

Agreed with I_Forgot, it was possibly a scam, but definately a spoofed number. I usually just ignore calls like that, and assume it was either a wrong number, or someone I don't want to talk to anyway. If they really wanted to talk to me, they would have left a message.

some terrorist organisations use this method as a tool to detonate the bombs and still avoid detection.they'll set the detonator with a mobile phone such that the IED explodes when the cell phone recieves any call.so they will call up many arbitary nos. and hang up.if any one person calls back.the IED explodes.
but y the hell will they call anoymous no.? earlier in some cases they would send SMS or call up the detonator coupled cellphone.but intel agencies tracked back the call to trace the caller and ultimately reach to the bomber.so they will now call arbitary numbers and the one who will call back will be traced by intelligence agencies as the 'suspect',while the real culprit goes scott free.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.