Spice Empire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hold at your neck the gom jabbar.

Fred,

Is your attached picture implying that this is a painful discussion? Or possibly that only in the "Empire" does the "Spice" clarify issues through heightened sensitivity and prescience whilst in our world of electronics it seems to muddle and confound even the simplest of explainations?

Later,

One big problem with Spice is, as Fred points out, is that the
transistor models are not very good. I have looked at a number
of manufacturers models of BJTs and none of them correlate
well with the data sheets. I have DIYed models for some BJTs
and I cannot find any way to make them correlate well to the
data sheets, getting about the same problems as the
manufacturers models have.

I am sure one can improve on the simulations by learning more
about how Spice works, tweaking the simulation parameters.
however, no simulation is better than its models, and this is
a weak link in the chain. The models can still work fine in many
cases, if you make sure that the transistors operate under the
conditions where the models are OK.

As for distorsion measurements, I have run a number of
large-signal analyses on some amps and FFt'd to get a
spectrum. I do not assume that this gives distorsion figures
that coincide with the real circuit. However, I think it can give
a good idea of the relative performance of two circuits. What
happens to the distorsion if I change a particular resistor value?
Which has the lower distorsion of two similar circuits? I think
even the relative change of even vs. odd order distorsion may
tell some truth.

All of us do not have spectrum analyzers or the time and money
to build hundreds of different amps. I think Spice can give some
help to choose what to build, but it cannot tell you how an amp
will sound of course (at least not without a lot of experience at
correlating real amps with Spice results).

I think the various simulators are NOT useful at all for determining actual distortion numbers, but can be VERY useful (when properly applied) for seeing effects of changes in a relative fashion.

The trick is "properly applied" implies some learning/understanding that takes a bit of time and practice to acquire.

mlloyd1

Thanks to Christer......

and yes......Phred. And I see my ol' buddy up north just jumped in.

Go read Bob Pease's book. Phred and I are not the only engineers out there that know better than believe the gibberish that Spice can spit out.

Yes, you have to know how to ask it the right question. You also have to be smart enough to know when it gives you the wrong answer. Something us old-timers learned how to do in the days before everyone started using, and believing, it without questioning it.

Now.....I want to see you argue with Bob Pease. That would be highly entertaining. I think we would all be amused by that.

Jocko

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MODELS&NUMBERS

Hi,

Phred and I are not the only engineers out there that know better than believe the gibberish that Spice can spit out.

And I wouldn't even rely on the output of a simple spreadsheet as some MD's do oh sooo religiously.

If it looks a bit odd than check it out the old fashioned way and soon enough you realize something doesn't compute.

Now I'll have that glass of Claret,;)

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
He who controls the Spice Controls the Universe

Folding space to travel without moving........ and now running Spice to design without measuring.

Again I say..... check your simulations against some real measured numbers.

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/borb502.pdf
http://www.borbelyaudio.com/ae699bor.pdf
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/balzenpre.pdf

I have used Spice since 1976 by the way. This was with punch cards and the school's (UofA, Fayetteville Arkansas) IBM 360! The first serious assignment was to design a single transistor amplifier with Spice. I proved that Hfe variations made a single transistor circuit a poor choice for the stated. This would have required measurements on a large group of transistors with sufficient Hfe spread. Spice is a wonderful tool.

A pair 6 inch Vise-Grip pliers is great tool, but I wouldn't try to hammer a nail with them.

The spice must flow,
Fred

PS Low distortion oscillators are pretty easy to build with an op amp and a light bulb. Aa sound card and a shareware FFT program makes distortion pretty easy to measure. You don't have to buy a bunch of expensive equipment to make good distortion measurements.

Attachments

• guild_navigator.jpg
    guild_navigator.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 509
Ok Fred, but what has these to do with the I/V converter the topic is about :confused:

Funny to see some old wise men hanging around here that seem to be arrived in DIY-audio heaven. Knowing all there is to know and in the end only be able to give their opinion by one-liners without proper reasoning and making no sense concerning the topic. Everywhere they appear in a topic, the topic gets lost in space.

Go ahead fellows, amuse yourself by spitting around your frustrations. I will go back to the music itself. There are funnier places to be.

Maybe later…

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
PARDON.

And I thought the Dutch had a sense of humour?

Pjotr,Peter or whatever that translates to:

Enjoy the music of course,you don't need us clowns.

Now tell me in all honestly you didn't have a laugh ?

How can we help you Sir?

Knowing we don't know nothing anyway...

C'mon man enjoy,it won't last forever ya know.;)

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
what has these to do with the I/V converter the topic is about

FROM THIS VERY THREAD

"Hi Jocko and all others... I know this will sound absolutely un-reliable, but we know that allready.. so here goes:

The schematic is only changed in this way:
-changed 1000K input resistor (to simulate current driven output of TDA1541 DAC) to 1K
-changed voltage source to Vbias= +2Volt and Vac = 2Volt peak

I used CircuitMaker2000, 250 points per cycle, 1KHz, fourier up to 10th harmonic

Results:

output = 669.4mV RMS
input impedamce = 2.4 Ohm
Vdc at input = 1.6mV
Vac at input = 3.4mV RMS
Iq BJTs = 6,9mA
Iac BJTs = about 700uA each BJT

Distortion: 2nd = -98dB
3rd = -128dB, all others about -130dB

well..... hows that for a Spice simulation.. unbelieveble I guess....

Why is my simulator giving me this perfect results

gr,
Thijs"

This is a recuring question in many threads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.