media server

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well just about all my music now is in mp3 format. i had this old
cd rom server. and a mainboard with spdif out. with the serial ata and scsi setup i should get about 800gig or more. and good cooling to save the drives. there should be no need for a keyboard or mouse im using pc anywhere on my home network
to use the desktop. on the server.

3 hours just to set the mainbord sleeve in and tap all the holes to hold it down.

looks good so far:D

Attachments

• mvc-393s.jpg
    mvc-393s.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 188
Is that a CDROM changer? How many disks can each unit swap?

I got a couple 250GB HDDs from woot for $50 each, and will shortly be combining them with a few old bits of computer hardware and a new CPU and mother board combo for $80 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185065), and a wireless network adapter ($17).

This machine will be running linux and slimserver to feed 600+ CDs stored in .flac format to my squeezebox3. With a little luck I won't have to reboot the server more than a couple times per year. I'm going to put it in a closet or behind/under a desk and forget about it.

You'll like having the stuff on a server! No more hunting for CDs, and putting them back in order when you're done listening.

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.