Ground and Safety - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2006, 03:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ground and Safety

Hi,
First of all, I really don't know what to search or where to put this so sorry for any mispost.
The thing is, I live in a country where 3-pronged plugs don't exist! Yeah, this is a matter of economic status vs. safety...
Anyways, I'm not new to electronics and DIY but this will be the first time I'll be trying tube amp DIY and high voltages. (I can use a welding machine tho )
I was told that you can 'earth' a length of wire for the purpose of ground. So I'm thinking of making me my own outlet in my workarea. Any other safety precaution recommendations?
Thanks!
Old 17th February 2006, 04:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

(umm.. how do you edit? )
Anyways, I just read the Safety Practices thread... and what I wanted to ask earlier was safety about 'earthing'.
Old 17th February 2006, 05:19 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The main thing is to get a good, solid earth connection on the far side of the wire. Cold water pipes are often recommended, but depending on where you live, they may not be a reliable ground. If you aren't 100% totally fully completely absolutely confident of that ground, then drive a couple meter long copper spike into the ground and solidly attach your earth wire to it. Big earth wire, 10 gauge at least.
Old 17th February 2006, 05:47 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
copper spikes might be a bit expensive.

Copper plated steel spikes should be more affordable.

If you can't drive the spike deep enough then dig a pair of long holes and bury the two spikes separately.

The two spikes allow you to test the effectiveness of the grounding so you don't want them too close to each other.

I don't know where you are but if the ground becomes dry then the grounding often becomes less effective. This is not usually a problem in the UK but still something we check.

See what you can find on instructions for installing and testing earth grounding spikes.

Good luck.
Old 17th February 2006, 05:53 PM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Yes to all of the above. The ground where your spikes are must remain moist at the level of your "ground" spikes. Otherwise they are not as useful.

Can you ask a local electrician how they do this?

-Chris
Old 17th February 2006, 06:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:

copper spikes might be a bit expensive.

Copper plated steel spikes should be more affordable.

question.... What is your life worth? Is is not worth a copper grounding rod?

I think so!
Old 17th February 2006, 06:04 PM   #7
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Joe,
If Danielle's place is like mine, too many rocks to drive a spike into the ground. They want extra around here to dig fence posts.

But your point about copper is well made.

-Chris
Old 17th February 2006, 06:31 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I am only an informed amateur but I believe the UK power industry use copper plated earthing rods. The tape connecting them is generally copper, often insulated.
Old 17th February 2006, 06:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, I certainly cannot speak for the UK but here in the states I have never seen a copper plated ground rod being used. Where I reside they use solid copper for grounding by electrical code. Personally I would use 10ga minimum for the lead in wire.
Old 18th February 2006, 02:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think I do know where I can salvage copper pipes!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Hide this!Advertise here!