Ground and Safety

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
First of all, I really don't know what to search or where to put this so sorry for any mispost. :angel:
The thing is, I live in a country where 3-pronged plugs don't exist! Yeah, this is a matter of economic status vs. safety...
Anyways, I'm not new to electronics and DIY but this will be the first time I'll be trying tube amp DIY and high voltages. (I can use a welding machine tho ;))
I was told that you can 'earth' a length of wire for the purpose of ground. So I'm thinking of making me my own outlet in my workarea. Any other safety precaution recommendations?
Thanks!

The main thing is to get a good, solid earth connection on the far side of the wire. Cold water pipes are often recommended, but depending on where you live, they may not be a reliable ground. If you aren't 100% totally fully completely absolutely confident of that ground, then drive a couple meter long copper spike into the ground and solidly attach your earth wire to it. Big earth wire, 10 gauge at least.

Hi,
copper spikes might be a bit expensive.

Copper plated steel spikes should be more affordable.

If you can't drive the spike deep enough then dig a pair of long holes and bury the two spikes separately.

The two spikes allow you to test the effectiveness of the grounding so you don't want them too close to each other.

I don't know where you are but if the ground becomes dry then the grounding often becomes less effective. This is not usually a problem in the UK but still something we check.

See what you can find on instructions for installing and testing earth grounding spikes.

Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.