marble?!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I have been wanting to make a DIY rack stand and possibly speaker stands now for awhile. I have a design I want to use, but I cannot find the material. I'm looking for a place to buy good marble, granite, etc for the surface. I was this to look good, but also be very stable. It might not be the best surface, but I have to live with it and so does my wife..for the WAF.
Thanks.

In the past, I've gotten good deals on marble and granite slabs from tombstone producers. They often have slabs which were rejected for cosmetic reasons or not paid for by a customer.

Ghoulish, yeah, a bit. But thick, solid, and available. I used one for my turntable some years ago; worked great, but I was careful to face downward the side with the deceased's name and dates.

In my parts most specialty tile shops carry marble and granite (for countertops) one i went to a few weeks ago even had a plant stand pillar that was made from five pieces of marble. If you have anything like that in your area they may even be able to tell you how to put it together. I have no idea what they would charge... The local home mega store also sells stone, i am sure it is cheaper but if those clowns told me how to put it together i would not believe them.

ask around to contractors...

when they do new houses, and there is a countertop, if they put a sink in it, or a cooktop, they have to cut it out... my parents have a slab of marble sitting in the garage thats from the cutout of their jacuzzi. would make 2 very nice stands for amps :)

just ask them if they have any peices left. chances are if a double sink, cooktop, etc, was added, there is a big enough peice for a project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.