Overcoming SAF - the final frontier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've realised overcoming the most complex speaker enclosure , crossover design and lack of basic cabinetry skills has *NOTHING* on the tall, steep slope (we are talking at least 96dB/octave here :) of spousal acceptance factor (SAF).

I have wanted to build a sub for about 1.5 years - here are the reasons I was told not to (and not for the looks.... the speaker - not mine! :)

1. You will play it so loud it will damage the kids
2. You will not do anything around the house in the weekends when I ask - you'll be building your speaker
3. It will not play lower than 25 Hz (reason - if I can't hear it - how will I know how loud and damaging it is)
4. "You want to spend all that money? what if turns out to be a disaster - what a waste of money"

This was after telling her the clothing of the aforementioned speaker - and even dimensions (withing sonic reasons) were to her specifications

The only option - I need to get myself a speakerectomy (removal of the desire, passion and hobby of audio reproduction).

Dave
:bawling:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave Bullet said:
*NOTHING* on the tall, steep slope (we are talking at least 96dB/octave here :) of spousal acceptance factor (SAF)

Thanks for reminding me how lucky i am. I usually reject something before my SO does. :)

She did just have me swap the listening room around 180 degrees. Makes a lot of sense logically but i haven't determined yet whether it will sound as good (or maybe even better).

dave

You need BIGGER speakers

to drown out the nagging.

<b>1. You will play it so loud it will damage the kids</b>

Get the industrial Health and Safety SPL rulings and live within those limits when the kids are around

<b>2. You will not do anything around the house in the weekends when I ask - you'll be building your speaker</b>

I'm not quite sure why this is bad. Rake lawn or build speakers? Hang on, I'm trying to choose....tough one that.

<b>3. It will not play lower than 25 Hz (reason - if I can't hear it - how will I know how loud and damaging it is)</b>

You don't so much hear really low bass as feel it. Buy her a book on how the human auditory system works.

<b>4. "You want to spend all that money? what if turns out to be a disaster - what a waste of money"</b>

Life is a journey where the destination is death. Everything that happens is an experience, and a chance for you to learn and grow. So what if it's not perfect? If you've thought it out well, the sub should be close, and maybe you could rebuild it then so it's <i>better</i>
<i>.....Honey, I'll mow the lawn next week. We haven't lost one of the kids in it yet so it's not that long</i>

<b>This was after telling her the clothing of the aforementioned speaker - and even dimensions (withing sonic reasons) were to her specifications</b>

She just doesn't want you to do it, and is finding excuses. I bet if you find realistic solutions for all her points, more are brought up, or the goalposts move.
Dunno what she'd say then if she saw the 100 odd cu ft my horns take up.
Ahhhhh. The joys of being single.

Good luck. And my condolences.

Brett,
you are tackling the subject way too male, way too brainy :)

Dave Bullet,

:cheeky: why not act a little bit more masterful ... not only with your speakers :devilr: .. she might enjoy it after a while .. :D

Attachments

• nato_air.jpg
    nato_air.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 193
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
This is clearly a no win situation...

I am glad that I don't have these issues. (yet?)

I was confused when I saw this thread, trying to think of a technical acronym that SAF stood for, until I realized it was very similar to WAF...

--
Brian

Dave Bullet said:
I've realised overcoming the most complex speaker enclosure , crossover design and lack of basic cabinetry skills has *NOTHING* on the tall, steep slope (we are talking at least 96dB/octave here :) of spousal acceptance factor (SAF).

I have wanted to build a sub for about 1.5 years - here are the reasons I was told not to (and not for the looks.... the speaker - not mine! :)

1. You will play it so loud it will damage the kids
2. You will not do anything around the house in the weekends when I ask - you'll be building your speaker
3. It will not play lower than 25 Hz (reason - if I can't hear it - how will I know how loud and damaging it is)
4. "You want to spend all that money? what if turns out to be a disaster - what a waste of money"

This was after telling her the clothing of the aforementioned speaker - and even dimensions (withing sonic reasons) were to her specifications

The only option - I need to get myself a speakerectomy (removal of the desire, passion and hobby of audio reproduction).

Dave
:crying:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
THE FEMALE PSYCHE.

Hi,

why not act a little bit more masterful ... not only with your speakers .. she might enjoy it after a while ..

I do agree.
What's called for is a good psychoanalysis of the the female mind.
Try to get her invloved in it so she doesn't feel left out whenever you're working on the gear.

She's probably only afraid you're paying more attention to the fi stuff then to her.
Doesn't she like music at all??
Surely she's happy for you when the system sounds better,looks better and integrates better with her requirements.
(Which of course are not the same as yours)

Make it easier for her to run the vac around the speakers or tell her not to worry about that part of the house and keep it spic&span yourself.
Women require a lot of attention we all know that,don't we?
They're oh sooo insecure.

Another two Eurocents,;)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave Bullet said:

Is that highpass or lowpass?

Maybe she would approve of El Pipe-O.

;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
New meaning to SAF

With my system in moth balls untill earlier this year, I had the Bryston 4B powering the speakers in my wife's system.:angel: When I replaced "her" Bryston with a NAD 2600 so I could use the Bryston in my system, she started. First little hints about how something was wrong with the way "her" system sounded. Then innuendos about being 2nd place. But when I got a second Bryston for my tri-amp system, the hints and innuendos turned into, "I want my amp back!":redhot:

Well, a NAD 2600 is so bad for a sub amp.:rolleyes: :shutup:

It like Bizarro World:warped: :superman: :warped:
Rodd Yamashita

Attachments

• bizarro_world_01.jpg
    bizarro_world_01.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 125
Overcoming SAF?

after 30 years of wedded bliss I can recommend the following:<p> 1) Turn on major league baseball, it put's 'em right to sleep (you soccer Hooligans in the UK can recommend what you refer to as football), or, you can also put on "Kudlow and Kramer" in which two white Wall Street Males (one a born again convert) discuss the problems with the SEC and US Stock Market, this works almost as well as baseball <p> 2) Turn on the "Man Show" on Comedy Central (yes, all you Gallists, we Americans can sink to ever new and lower lows, but you don't have the Juggies jumping on trampolines!), this so disgusts my wife that she heads right to bed, in which case I can crank up the Lo-Fi to 128 dB. <p> 3) Demand your conjugal rights, in which case she will feign deep sleep.

She just doesn't want you to do it, and is finding excuses. I bet if you find realistic solutions for all her points, more are brought up, or the goalposts move.

How true this might be - but why would she not?

She doesn't believe that with 250watts for a sub in a sealed enclsoure - the max I'll be able to get will be around 107dB @ 25Hz - not exactly a damaging level.....common sense does not pervade these discussions at our home....

She's probably only afraid you're paying more attention to the fi stuff then to her.

That's also probably very true - maybe its got something to do with the fact I said "well at least my speaker makes a loud noise only when I ask it to" - or "even unfinished it will look better than you without the makeup" - or "don't feel jealous of a speaker - after all you and your mother can out SPL anything" (just kidding - but funny comments nonetheless!)

3) Demand your conjugal rights, in which case she will feign deep sleep.

This one has to be the best - but I only use it in emergencies :D

Thanks guys,
Dave.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
IT SHOULD NOT COME TO THIS.

Hi,

The scene was a tiny mountain village in a remote section of West Virginia. An old mountaineer and his young wife were getting a divorce in the local court. But custody of the children was a problem. The mother jumped to her feet and protested to the judge that since she had brought the children into this world, she should retain custody of them.
The old mountaineer also wanted custody of the children. The judge asked for his side of the story and, after a long moment of silence, the mountaineer slowly rose from his chair and replied, "Judge, when I put a dollar in a candy machine and a candy bar comes out, does it belong to me or the machine?"

Cheers,:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.