Overcoming SAF - the final frontier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2002, 06:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Overcoming SAF - the final frontier

I've realised overcoming the most complex speaker enclosure , crossover design and lack of basic cabinetry skills has *NOTHING* on the tall, steep slope (we are talking at least 96dB/octave here :-) of spousal acceptance factor (SAF).

I have wanted to build a sub for about 1.5 years - here are the reasons I was told not to (and not for the looks.... the speaker - not mine! :-)

1. You will play it so loud it will damage the kids
2. You will not do anything around the house in the weekends when I ask - you'll be building your speaker
3. It will not play lower than 25 Hz (reason - if I can't hear it - how will I know how loud and damaging it is)
4. "You want to spend all that money? what if turns out to be a disaster - what a waste of money"

This was after telling her the clothing of the aforementioned speaker - and even dimensions (withing sonic reasons) were to her specifications

The only option - I need to get myself a speakerectomy (removal of the desire, passion and hobby of audio reproduction).

Dave
Old 6th November 2002, 07:23 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Overcoming SAF - the final frontier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bullet
*NOTHING* on the tall, steep slope (we are talking at least 96dB/octave here :-) of spousal acceptance factor (SAF)
Thanks for reminding me how lucky i am. I usually reject something before my SO does.

She did just have me swap the listening room around 180 degrees. Makes a lot of sense logically but i haven't determined yet whether it will sound as good (or maybe even better).

dave
Old 6th November 2002, 07:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default You need BIGGER speakers

to drown out the nagging.

<b>1. You will play it so loud it will damage the kids</b>

Get the industrial Health and Safety SPL rulings and live within those limits when the kids are around

<b>2. You will not do anything around the house in the weekends when I ask - you'll be building your speaker</b>

I'm not quite sure why this is bad. Rake lawn or build speakers? Hang on, I'm trying to choose....tough one that.

<b>3. It will not play lower than 25 Hz (reason - if I can't hear it - how will I know how loud and damaging it is)</b>

You don't so much hear really low bass as feel it. Buy her a book on how the human auditory system works.

<b>4. "You want to spend all that money? what if turns out to be a disaster - what a waste of money"</b>

Life is a journey where the destination is death. Everything that happens is an experience, and a chance for you to learn and grow. So what if it's not perfect? If you've thought it out well, the sub should be close, and maybe you could rebuild it then so it's <i>better</i>
<i>.....Honey, I'll mow the lawn next week. We haven't lost one of the kids in it yet so it's not that long</i>

<b>This was after telling her the clothing of the aforementioned speaker - and even dimensions (withing sonic reasons) were to her specifications</b>

She just doesn't want you to do it, and is finding excuses. I bet if you find realistic solutions for all her points, more are brought up, or the goalposts move.
Dunno what she'd say then if she saw the 100 odd cu ft my horns take up.
Ahhhhh. The joys of being single.

Good luck. And my condolences.
Old 6th November 2002, 06:48 PM   #4
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Brett,
you are tackling the subject way too male, way too brainy

Dave Bullet,

why not act a little bit more masterful ... not only with your speakers .. she might enjoy it after a while ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nato_air.jpg (24.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 6th November 2002, 07:39 PM   #5
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT

This is clearly a no win situation...

I am glad that I don't have these issues. (yet?)

I was confused when I saw this thread, trying to think of a technical acronym that SAF stood for, until I realized it was very similar to WAF...

--
Brian

Quote:
I've realised overcoming the most complex speaker enclosure , crossover design and lack of basic cabinetry skills has *NOTHING* on the tall, steep slope (we are talking at least 96dB/octave here :-) of spousal acceptance factor (SAF).

I have wanted to build a sub for about 1.5 years - here are the reasons I was told not to (and not for the looks.... the speaker - not mine! :-)

1. You will play it so loud it will damage the kids
2. You will not do anything around the house in the weekends when I ask - you'll be building your speaker
3. It will not play lower than 25 Hz (reason - if I can't hear it - how will I know how loud and damaging it is)
4. "You want to spend all that money? what if turns out to be a disaster - what a waste of money"

This was after telling her the clothing of the aforementioned speaker - and even dimensions (withing sonic reasons) were to her specifications

The only option - I need to get myself a speakerectomy (removal of the desire, passion and hobby of audio reproduction).

Dave

Old 6th November 2002, 08:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Default THE FEMALE PSYCHE.

Hi,

Quote:
why not act a little bit more masterful ... not only with your speakers .. she might enjoy it after a while ..
I do agree.
What's called for is a good psychoanalysis of the the female mind.
Try to get her invloved in it so she doesn't feel left out whenever you're working on the gear.

She's probably only afraid you're paying more attention to the fi stuff then to her.
Doesn't she like music at all??
Surely she's happy for you when the system sounds better,looks better and integrates better with her requirements.
(Which of course are not the same as yours)

Make it easier for her to run the vac around the speakers or tell her not to worry about that part of the house and keep it spic&span yourself.
Women require a lot of attention we all know that,don't we?
They're oh sooo insecure.

Another two Eurocents,
Old 6th November 2002, 08:49 PM   #7
The one and only

Quote:
Is that highpass or lowpass?

Maybe she would approve of El Pipe-O.

Old 6th November 2002, 09:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Default IT'S A PLUMBERS' JOB

He,

Call Pipex.
Old 7th November 2002, 01:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default New meaning to SAF

With my system in moth balls untill earlier this year, I had the Bryston 4B powering the speakers in my wife's system. When I replaced "her" Bryston with a NAD 2600 so I could use the Bryston in my system, she started. First little hints about how something was wrong with the way "her" system sounded. Then innuendos about being 2nd place. But when I got a second Bryston for my tri-amp system, the hints and innuendos turned into, "I want my amp back!"

Well, a NAD 2600 is so bad for a sub amp.

It like Bizarro World
Rodd Yamashita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bizarro_world_01.jpg (24.3 KB, 105 views)
Old 7th November 2002, 03:09 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: New meaning to SAF

Quote:
Originally posted by roddyama
I replaced "her" Bryston with a NAD 2600
A pretty good indication that the Bryston sounds better?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!