Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2006, 07:50 PM   #1101
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi John,
We are in agreement.

I am about to move my gear from between the speakers to the other end of a 20' room. I will use 12 Ga only because I want to. The speakers are 4 R, so 18 Ga wire might be a bit on the thin side.

The wire gauge tables are based on current and a 10 C temperature rise if I'm not mistaken. Clearly this is unsuitable. I once (as a teenager in a rush) used quad phone wire (20 Ga?) on a pair of 12W tube amps, 8R load. I lost a lot of the power in the wire. Replacing with 18 Ga lamp cord (pot 64) made a huge difference. Going heavier later on didn't seem to make any difference at all. I believe the runs were on the order of 20 ~ 25 feet.

We could go on about localization effects, but the room may have even more to say about that.

-Chris
Old 14th December 2006, 07:57 PM   #1102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Panicos K
No no,simply respect your intelligence as everyone's,believe me.

It was a joke...we are separated by a little more than just a pond, it seems.

It is fun to speak with others from around the world, as sometimes our confusion is as funny as the jokes we tell..and miss.

It is sad when our different languages lead to anger however, where none should be.

This thread has been enjoyable, do not make the mistake of thinking I am upset at any time..life is too short..

Cheers, John
Old 14th December 2006, 08:10 PM   #1103
diyAudio Member

I know it was a joke.But most important is what you said about life.Sitting in front of my computer tonight was something I needed very much hoping to find someone to say something,even silly things,after the second day I spent with my sister in hospital's intensive care unit where our mother is.Thanks for responding to my joke.Its worth more than a million dollars prize....
Old 14th December 2006, 08:28 PM   #1104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Panicos K
I know it was a joke.But most important is what you said about life.Sitting in front of my computer tonight was something I needed very much hoping to find someone to say something,even silly things,after the second day I spent with my sister in hospital's intensive care unit where our mother is.Thanks for responding to my joke.Its worth more than a million dollars prize....
I wish you all the best of luck in your situation.

Leave the computer alone and spend more time with your sister.

Good luck

Cheers, John
Old 14th December 2006, 08:53 PM   #1105
diyAudio Member

Thank you.I will spend as much time as possible not only with her but also with mother when we have her back.To you and all friends here,all the best,and enjoy the ones you love NOW.We'll talk again soon.
Old 14th December 2006, 08:55 PM   #1106
diyAudio Member

Panicos K,

May I also offer my sincerest good wishes for the health of your mother. Having lost my wife 5 months ago in a car accident, I know about concern for a loved one. My thoughts are now with you, and I will pray for her and your family.

Best wishes
Johan
Old 15th December 2006, 07:03 AM   #1107
diyAudio Member

In order yo somehow put an end to it, c0uld we agree to a final statement and close thsi thread?

1 Differences in cables are measurable.
2. All the evidence of audibility of those differences is anecdotal only.
3. All tests that have so far been conduxted have failed to clearly verify this audibility.
4. This could be due to two reasons:
4.1 The methodology is flawed and an acceptable test has so far not been conducted
4.2. The methodology is flawed but the results of those flawed tests indicate that the audibility is at such a low level that unambigous results are not obtainable.

And then we close...
or we "achieve closure" in the tongue of the modern social worker and grief consultant....a pest on their houses...
Old 15th December 2006, 07:30 AM   #1108
dfdye is offline dfdye  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio-kraut
In order yo somehow put an end to it, c0uld we agree to a final statement and close thsi thread?
LOL! THATS funny!

David
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:37 PM   #1109
diyAudio Member

Default the answer is YES, absolutely

and I don't know what it depends on.

I know that on my current rig, the Tara Labs RSC Prime 1000 delivers music which sounds MUCH more realistic....tighter bass, more lifelike voices and sweeter highs than the Kimber TC cables that sounded best in my previous rig which had different amp and speaker.

The best way to find the best (to you) sounding cables is to borrow from friends, from stores ( if they'll let you)...from audio society buddies etc....that is the best way to find you optimal sound.

But know that when you change an amp...or speakers - all bets are off on that cable being able to deliver the goods for your ears.

And yes, price doesn't necessarily improve the sound. I have had heavy guage lamp cord that sounded better than some borrowed exotic cables I tried here.

Hide this!Advertise here!