Facts about Fiberglass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built a carbon fiber bicycle using both CF cloth and fiberglass. It is true that both materials are somewhat hazardous to handle, and you should wear a filter mask, goggles, and gloves when handling/cutting the cloth and machining or sanding the final product. You also want to do the work in your garage, and keep the door open for fresh air exchange.

It is not a big deal. You can get a 3 pack of filter masks for $5 at Walmart. Gloves and goggles will cost another $5.

I_F

As a practical matter, glass roving and mat are relatively innocuous. CF mat and roving tend to shed fibers to a higher degree. Masks make sense then...

However, any machining or sanding of those materials is really the risk as the dust is full of little "knives" that stick in the lungs. The $1.00 mask is OK for $1.00 lungs if you get what I mean. If you are doing much of this, the better ribber masks will provide better seals at the nose bridge, i.e., much more effective in filtration. Further, sooner or later you will be shooting some of these structures in urethanes and then the carbon canister mask is MORE THAN JUST AN OPTION.

As for gloves and epoxy resins... you'll only make that mistake once. It will take a week for the grime to wear off! (And some people are alergic or will develop an alergy to the materials.)

I've been working with CF/FG and resin systems for two years now while working on a human powered submarine at my college. Good masks are an absolute must because of the resin systems we use. Some of the resin systems are so nasty that you need ventilator systems (we avoid those ones).

I'm currently building a FG subwoofer enclosure, and yes, good protections is very necessary..

the small glass fibers are probably not inhaled (thay are too long) when applying the glass, but sanding them makes them small and dangerous..

we constructed a giant ventilator system that we kinda use as a vacuum cleaner (with a20cm hose diameter) to suck out all sanding dust, works quite well..

currently the most annoying part is all the tiny fibers in our clothes, itches like hell..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.