Ubuntu Linux - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ubuntu Linux

I am (maybe was) a XP user, but often tune into the Linux camp to see what's new and how far it's come along. Yes, I know..I know...Linux is for gurus and of course it's near impossible to use and completely impractical . I'm no guru!

There have been some pretty good distros I have tried in the past (redhat/mandrake et al) but I have to say that the latest release of Ubuntu is the best yet for people that just wanna sit down, use a computer and not worry about all the licensing B.S. I have been on it for 2 weeks now and switched back to XP only once to use a particular prog I wanted to use. I put it on a 10gig HD I had kicking 'round so I wouldn't affect my system. I may never really go back this time! Ubuntu will even mail you a disk for free in the event you don't have broadband.

If you have a hard drive you can try it on I really think it's worth a look!

OH, and it's free of course
Old 4th February 2006, 05:38 PM   #2
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've also recently tried it - Linux usability has come a long way over the last few years. It's not perfect, but it's getting there. I particularly like the Synaptic package manager.
Old 4th February 2006, 07:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Linux has come a long, long way.
Some of my Servers at work were operating under the SCO Unix OS. They're now operating under Linux.
The servers are perfectly stable ... and it doesn't cost $5000 every time we need an OS upgrade.
Old 4th February 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 1/137 Send a message via Skype™ to 1/137
I am trying to migrate to Linux but I'm an old guy with no UNIX background....however...both K/Ubuntu & CentOS seem to be pretty good....much better than the old daze...trying to get early versions of Red Hat to play.

However it's still a bit of a struggle.

rt
Old 4th February 2006, 07:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

In my experience (very limited), an early version of Red Hat is an excercise in frustration. I've been in Ubuntu for 2 weeks, as I said, and I haven't had to open a single terminal window. Thier server has a ton of packages that install more smoothly than windows and what is offered is probably enuff for the average user without specific needs. I really enjoy this thing and my 5 year old adores 'Tux (penguin) Racer'.....
Old 4th February 2006, 07:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think you are having better "luck" than I....my "big" problem is that although I can get Samba to work and can browse Windoze to Linux and Linux to Windoze from the OS...I can't get any Linux APPLICATIONS to browse from the Linux box to a Windows machine...everything esle works fine...other than it is a little slow...I'm an Xwindows user..

Hopefully this made some sense.

rt
Old 4th February 2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Byrd is offline Byrd  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Byrd
I have to comment that this is one of the few things I feel a small amount of national pride about. This is the first distro that has the correct ethic behind it (for the good of humanity) as well as some serious cash. It will undoubtedly be successfull.
Old 4th February 2006, 08:53 PM   #8
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1/137
....my "big" problem is that although I can get Samba to work and can browse Windoze to Linux and Linux to Windoze from the OS...I can't get any Linux APPLICATIONS to browse from the Linux box to a Windows machine...

rt
Most Samba clients permit 'mounting' a Windows network share under a directory, usually somewhere under /mnt. A common location at one time was /mnt/smb. Linux applications then access the the Windows share via that directory. Sorry for the lack of better detail, my servers all run Linux and I no longer browse in the other direction.
Old 4th February 2006, 09:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you..that sorta helps...but to me it's strange....obviously I'm missing something...that I can browse from the OS windows but I can NOT from an application...as in I want to bring a file in to a word processor on the Linux box but the file is on the Windows box...I cannot browse the network from the Linux Application even though I can from one of the OS GUI wondows...

rt
Old 5th February 2006, 02:05 AM   #10
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have tried KUbuntu Linux.

This is a version of Ubuntu that is built around KDE graphical user interface.

I have only one thing against Ubuntu.
The difficulties that comes along with you CAN NOT login as 'root' user.

This is not in the spirit of Linux!
Where we want to be able to control and change settings in our own system.

--------------------------------

A good way to test Linux is to use a LIVE CD.
This means you download and burn a BOOTable CD.
this way you can run Linux directly out of this disc
without any changes to your harddrive.

Quote:
Live CD

The live CD allows you to try Kubuntu without changing your computer at all. There are three images available, each for a different type of computer:
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

PC (Intel x86) live CD - ISO download

Hide this!Advertise here!