affordable$$audio...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just a quick pliug here for an e-zine that just started.

affordable$$audio

checked with Planet10 to see if it was OK to post. Aimed at the newb , or lover of low cost new or used equipment. In the infamous words of the head of the Gramercy Riff---"spread the word" to any and all that may benefit.

diyaudio folks aren't the intended audience but if you know any that might benefit , please send them. Any feedback or comments are welcome .

the "new" Affordable$$Audio online (Jan 2012 issue)

Folks:

Affordable$$Audio is back online. It had been merged with HiFi'Zine but is now back completely independent. I was the longest sitting writer, and would like to suggest any that have missed it or who are not aware of it to drop by and have a look. Now online only (much like Postive Feedback Magazine, and enjoythemusic).

Still aimed at the same audience--- the audio "newb", or music lover. I tend to write small, non-technical reviews and some DIY. At times I also have looked at non-traditional equipment (often unknown brands,or "pro" equipment) that has proven to be suitable for use by the budding audiophile or music lover on a limited budget out of necessity or the desire to "get the most with the least". After all, enjoying music is the desired end result. I also have provided a social conscience and commentary in my "From the Pulpit" series.

It's intended to be entertaining and is not a technical journal, so you don't need a graduate degree in any science or mathematics to understand it. But even well embedded/experienced audiophiles and hobbyists might benefit from a new "discover". Although not a "technical" e'zine, there are some very technical topics covered.

Thanks.

The piece on mains conditioners was funny. By sleight of hand, harmonic distortion in the mains signal somehow got connected with TIM from the audio system. These conditioners are apparently so effective that they still need a fancy audiophile mains cable to feed them. Then there was the usual hint that this is only for those with ears and equipment which are up to the task - the true believers?

Definitely not my sort of magazine, but thanks for alerting us to it.

Of articles and other things...

DF96: As power line conditioners are a little out of my comfort zone, and as I do not have the means to do any objective testing that I could relate to subjective results (or not), I personally have little to no interest in power line "conditioners". However I do feel that AC line regeneration schemes have the right concept. I personally use what most would suggest is a cheap home theatre type "power bar" with MOVs for filtering. But I use it mainly as a surge protector (I live in an area in Canada where strong winds and electrical storms can occur almost any time of the year).

I have friends who have used Panamax conditioners and other, but don't like what they do sonically (particularly a friend who is a "flat earther" with Linn/Naim equipment). Perhaps most would be better served by isolation transformers. I have used the Audio Prism Quietline™ Noise Reduction filters to very good effect.

This is not intended to defend any issues that you may have with the article.

Affordable$$Audio now independant of HiFi'zine.

The "merger" with HiFi'zine was not successful and most of the original contributors are back at Affrordable$$Audio. So here's another shameless plug for Affordable$$Audio now back in its original pdf format (well the font size has been increased to accommodate reading on a tablet).

Any and all are invited to visit. I do (mostly) DIY projects (for those of you who have two left thumbs just like I do), and used reviews. Feel free to make any comments or suggestions for reviews (again new or used), and I'll pass them onto the powers that be. Any comments by any here are always welcome either directly in this thread or PM or email me (if direct email please just indicate "comments about
A$$A" or similar in the subject line). You can also email me at: stewnelless@affordableaudio.org. As the longest "sitting" writer , I am quite glad for the return.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.