5.1 audio system for PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a unit for 5.1. It has six opamp preamps with indervidual gain controls feeding into a 6 gang volume pot feeding into 6 TDA2050 25W chip amps and six speakers. It has a +/- 25V 3A regulated psu with over current and dual voltage tracking based on Sir Clive Sinclair's design for the old 1970's Z60 amp modules.
It has audio and video inputs for DVD player, PC, Video and an aux selected by relays, the video is routed out to the tv.
It needs large heatsinks which I salvaged out of old Norstar Phone systems. It turned into a bit of a monster to build.:mad:

If you just want a unit for the PC you only need the six power amps using the analogue outputs and you can use the volume controls in the PC software. If you have digital o/p only you will need a decoder in which case you may be better of buying a unit.

I just used TDA2050 circuits in the application notes at ww.st.com

25Watts per channel is a bit of an overkill so suggest you use a lower power ic's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.