wet/dry audio effect how-to? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2006, 09:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default wet/dry audio effect how-to?

I'm looking to build a piece of hardware that I can attach to the effects loop of my mixer (a Vestax PCV-275) to achieve the "wet/dry" effect that's typically available on more expensive club mixers.

I've been searching the web and I haven't been able to find much in the way of the theory behind the actual effect. The best explanation I've come across is that it's an "introduced delay inversely proportional to the frequency". I.e. lower frequency components are delayed less, whereas higher frequencies are delayed more. Either way, I'm not even sure if this is true because I can't corroborate this with other sites.

Does anyone know the theory behind the "wet/dry" sound effect? Also, does anyone have any information as to recommended implementations? I've got some experience with digital hardware and DSP programming, but I'd like to take this on as an analogue project.

Thanks in advance.

D. Carney
Old 29th January 2006, 09:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Update and correction:

I believe that what I want is a dispersive filter. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Also, I meant an "introduced delay proportional to the frequency", not "inversely proportional".

D. Carney
Old 30th January 2006, 09:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

I am unfamiliar with the effect, but frequency dependant delays are definitely DSP fodder if you ask me. An anologue solution would likely be very complex and very large.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 30th January 2006, 10:32 AM   #4
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wet / dry is usually used by engineers simply to refer to with / without effects - commonly in relation to reverb. The actual FX may well vary, so we'd need more information about your spacific requirement. Is it similar to the common consumer DSP 'hall' FX, or something else?
Old 30th January 2006, 01:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dnsey
Wet / dry is usually used by engineers simply to refer to with / without effects - commonly in relation to reverb. The actual FX may well vary, so we'd need more information about your spacific requirement. Is it similar to the common consumer DSP 'hall' FX, or something else?

The "underwater" effect is what I'm looking for. I.e. not so much reverb as filtering (and potentially delaying) specific frequencies. I.e. a variable, "muted" kind of sound.

I do tend to agree with 'pinkmouse' (above) in that it'll likely have to be a digital (DSP) solution. The idea of something analogous to an FFT in analogue hardware sounds like a nightmare. Then again, I haven't done the research because I don't know exactly what I'm trying to do... Maybe it could be done with a simple RCL network

D. Carney

Hide this!Advertise here!