A/V Selector Switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When my kids switch between DVD and X-Box 50 times a day it was always a hassle to switch inputs on 2 devices and sometimes move cables. So an A/V switch was in order.

I have an older Denon AV receiver with no video in or outputs, two inputs on my TV, and four source components. I had been using a Sony A/V selector switch that lost an input after a year and now have a RatShack model which seems to give me lot’s of noise and poor picture quality (also has an intermittent input after 6 months).

I would like to build my own switch and am looking for advice on a good 4 or 5 position switch or some other alternatives. I’m not going with any fancy features, just simple and high quality. I wouldn’t be opposed to a kit either if anybody knows of one, or maybe a link to someone else who has done this.

Thanks
Rick

if you're out there in California get yourself an HP3488a (if you don't mind the industrial look). These things were unloaded by the boatload when the internet and telcom burst -- i picked up some from Lucent here in NJ -- these will switch anything -- audio, digital, VHF --

HP3488A.jpg

you can get a manual with programming instructions for about $9.00

these things cost a couple thousand bucks when new.

To get back to my subject.

Can anyone recommend a suitable rotary switch. Do I need a 4 pole to seperate the grounds or can I use a 3 pole and make common ground for each device. I'm sure the most unfavorable would be all grounds common.

The HP will be to industrial looking for my wife and to many buttons for a 4 and 5 year old. But thanks for the input jackinnj.

Anyone find an high end solution ? I am using a passive swapper that I paid $15CAD for at a local electronics surplus store and works great, but the contacts might wearout eventually and cause noise. I heard pro and cons about electronic switchers that most loose their input switching after awhile and also some DVD players or X-Box give out residual signals even when turned off and confuses these swappers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.