silly XLR wiring question... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2002, 02:32 AM   #1
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
Default silly XLR wiring question...

i've never wired XLR balanced circuits before so i have a simple question... what is the preferred way to connect the body (shield) of the XLR connector on a cable? do i use the body as a ground connection, connected at both ends, or should it be left floating at one end and used only for shielding purposes on the cable? e.g. let's say i have 3 wires and a shield. the 3 wires are connected to the 3 pins. do i connect the shield at both ends to the body, or just at one end?
Old 31st October 2002, 03:30 AM   #2
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I normally use the shield as a ground on the body of the connector. All the connections I've ever made or seen use the two core wires for signal, and the shield for a, well, shield, with body connections and a connection to a node.

I've yet to see a balanced XLR with three wires. I guess the whole point of the balaned signal is the two nullyifying currents and an RF shield...
Old 31st October 2002, 11:34 AM   #3
bob4 is offline bob4  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Dorkus,

Here's a link to some pdf files on that topic:

http://www.soundcraft.com/learning/wiring_guides.html

cheers,

bob
Old 1st November 2002, 07:55 AM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The body of the plug will be connected to the chassis of the equipment by it's mechanical insertion. Whether the equipment designer connects this internally to pin 1, depends on case to case (no pun intended). In other words, the earthing scheme within the equipment.
On analogue only:
Sometimes pin 1 (shield) is connected at only one end, either by the installer, or by the equipment manufacturer. If left "open", it is always the recieving end where this is done.
The logic of this is that the CMMR of a good balanced input stage is very good.
Old 1st November 2002, 05:47 PM   #5
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rane Article on Balance Wiring

There is an article on the Rane website www.rane.com that the correct way to wire balanced interconnects and plugs.

I was amused by the wry observation that there is only one right way (which has been known and understood for decades) and many wrong ways to do this, yet the right way is possibly the least used.

The Rane website has a number of other articles I have found interesting as well.
Old 3rd November 2002, 09:07 PM   #6
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

The AES standard connection for balanced audio connection on a 3 pin XLR connector is (drum roll please)

Pin 1 : Shield

Pin 2 : Signal + (Hot)

Pin 3 : Signal - (Cold)

According to the AES standard, the cable shield is most definitely not connected to the shell of the XLR connector.

Note: Quite a few older (and some current) pieces of pro audio gear have pins 2 and 3 reversed. This matters if you are mixing multiple signals since if relative polarity (incorrectly called phase) is not maintained then you will not be able to get a usable mono summed signal. This also matters in playback equipment if if you want to maintain absolute polarity.

ftp.aessc.org/pub/aes14-1992.pdf
Old 3rd November 2002, 09:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Senior Member

Default XLR

Hi,

Quote:
Note: Quite a few older (and some current) pieces of pro audio gear have pins 2 and 3 reversed. This matters if you are mixing multiple signals since if relative polarity (incorrectly called phase) is not maintained then you will not be able to get a usable mono summed signal. This also matters in playback equipment if if you want to maintain absolute polarity.
Yep.
And that where the fun starts.
Recordings out of phase,single instruments out of phase with respect to others,equipment out of phase you name it.

And you better start checking the polarity of your home gear as well in case you wonder who stole the bass.

If only people would stick to standards.

Cheers,
Old 4th November 2002, 09:21 AM   #8

Default Easy as 1 2 3

The way I remember 3 pin XLR pinout is:

X= ground point (1)
L=Line (2)
R=Return (3)
Old 4th November 2002, 09:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Default XLR

Hi guys,

Good to see we agree:

Quote:
The AES standard connection for balanced audio connection on a 3 pin XLR connector is (drum roll please)
Pin 1 : Shield

Pin 2 : Signal + (Hot)

Pin 3 : Signal - (Cold)

Same as Haldor said,no?

Cheers,
Old 4th November 2002, 09:29 AM   #10

Default Upping posts

Yes, I agree we agree...

Hide this!Advertise here!