surface or cross section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As far as where current flows, I've heard the following conflicting views:
1.) DC travels throught the cross section of a wire with uniform charge (or current?) density.
2.) AC travels closer to the surface, depending on freqency.
3.) Static charge sits on the surface.
and then:
4.) AC and DC travel on the surface ONLY, thus making the only important aspect of a wire the surface area, cross sectional area is not important.

the first 3 are from physics, the last is from an EE. I feel the first 3 make sense, where the 4th doesn't

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
AWG

Guys,

Just form the top of my head:

From what I concluded from Dr.Macolm Hawksford studies the ideal diameter for an interconnect would be 0.6mm,ideal dielectric would be air.
More metal would increase skineffect.
It is however a complex matter but the proposed cross section seems to corelate perfectly with experiments carried out in listening tests.
For sonic bliss other factors such as cable capacitance play an important role,Dc resistance too etc.
In a word it is a bees' nest.
FWIW,in my designs I go for low dc resistance and low capacitance/m.
If higher currents need to pass unimpeded I suggest bundling a number of the same cross section wires.
I always use solid core wire.Always!
Other factors are geometry,shielding,solder composition etc.
So far it seems to pay off.

What Dave suggests,I've read that somewhere as well but I'm a bit err... resisting on that theory.:xeye:

Best regards,:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.