How about a DIY pro audio forum - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2006, 03:34 PM   #1
testlab is offline testlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How about a DIY pro audio forum

Is there anyone else out there who would participate in DIY for pro audio? I would love to share upgrade and modification ideas with like minded and afflicted folks. I myself, really like restoring vintage Soundcraft consoles.
Old 20th January 2006, 05:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't have much to offer, but would definitely enjoy reading it.
Old 20th January 2006, 05:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by massappeal129
I wouldn't have much to offer, but would definitely enjoy reading it.

copy that.
Old 20th January 2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

We mods have been discussing your fine idea. While other websites already exist on the topic, there are a lot of people here that make their living at pro audio and could be great resources. Also quite a bit of overlap exists between the efficient speakers people, the electronic crossover people, the instrument amp people , etc. Your catagory of restoring old gear would also be a real strong point for us.

Finally, there are other sites that do all the things we do, but we just do them best!!!

So, your idea seems to make sense. Unfortunately there can be no changes to DIY Audio until we get the new software installed, which should be pretty soon now......
Old 20th January 2006, 06:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, this may make me unpopular (more unpopular? ), but I am actually against adding more forums. I personally have been disappointed by how the Loudspeaker forum has been "dumbified" after being split up, with a lot of the most knowledgable people focusing on what interests them most, the Fullrange forum, and leaving the Loudspeaker & Subwoofer forums the worse for it. True, the forum membership has been growing so this is not a controlled test, but that is what I have personally observed.
Old 20th January 2006, 06:21 PM   #6
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi leadbelly,
Making it easier for experts in the field to find what interests them will attract more of them to the forum. They do not have time to sift through everything else.

I'm all for pro audio forums. I firmly believe that it would enrich this site. I'll bet some of those people are interested in the same things you are.

As Variac has stated, this is an excellent idea. All changes have to wait for new software to be installed.

-Chris
Old 20th January 2006, 07:02 PM   #7
testlab is offline testlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I know that there are may d i yers building microphone amps, compressors and noise gates etc. I think that adding discussion of different circuit topologies, could only enhance everyone's understanding and, raise the fun factor. There is also the availability of more parts and pieces.

I know that there are some pro audio guys on the board already. I have seen there handles at other boards. But this is such a lively place for discussion. I think they will be wooed away from those places and share with us. IMO.
Old 20th January 2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
Hello there!

Great idea, as my friend Chris pointed out. But I suggest to find an integration with the "Musical Instruments" forum. My suggestion is to make a single board with child boards, like this:

Pro Audio
--> Guitar/bass amps
--> Public Address (mixers, speakers, power amps...)
--> Recording Studio Electronics (restoring old things, building effects...)

What do you think about this? I know that more forums aren't always better, but here we're adding 3 new ones by deleting (or better, moving/splitting) one! So total 2 new ones added, not that much.
Old 20th January 2006, 08:11 PM   #9
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Giaime,
We shall see what Dan comes up with. . . . .

Give it time

-Chris
Old 20th January 2006, 08:23 PM   #10
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Giaime,

That's kind of my approach also- In my original post I included the instrument amp people.

Leadbelly,

I know what you are saying, and it is a concern and I'm sure that the phenomenom you are referring to is real. I may be wrong, but I think that if we restructure things somewhat we can make people keep in touch with more threads. That is why we won't add any forums until we can reorg around here a bit....

Hide this!Advertise here!