How about a DIY pro audio forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We mods have been discussing your fine idea. While other websites already exist on the topic, there are a lot of people here that make their living at pro audio and could be great resources. Also quite a bit of overlap exists between the efficient speakers people, the electronic crossover people, the instrument amp people , etc. Your catagory of restoring old gear would also be a real strong point for us.

Finally, there are other sites that do all the things we do, but we just do them best!!!

So, your idea seems to make sense. Unfortunately there can be no changes to DIY Audio until we get the new software installed, which should be pretty soon now......

Well, this may make me unpopular (more unpopular? :) ), but I am actually against adding more forums. I personally have been disappointed by how the Loudspeaker forum has been "dumbified" after being split up, with a lot of the most knowledgable people focusing on what interests them most, the Fullrange forum, and leaving the Loudspeaker & Subwoofer forums the worse for it. True, the forum membership has been growing so this is not a controlled test, but that is what I have personally observed.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi leadbelly,
Making it easier for experts in the field to find what interests them will attract more of them to the forum. They do not have time to sift through everything else.

I'm all for pro audio forums. I firmly believe that it would enrich this site. I'll bet some of those people are interested in the same things you are.

As Variac has stated, this is an excellent idea. All changes have to wait for new software to be installed.

-Chris

Well, I know that there are may d i yers building microphone amps, compressors and noise gates etc. I think that adding discussion of different circuit topologies, could only enhance everyone's understanding and, raise the fun factor. There is also the availability of more parts and pieces.

I know that there are some pro audio guys on the board already. I have seen there handles at other boards. But this is such a lively place for discussion. I think they will be wooed away from those places and share with us. IMO.

Hello there!

Great idea, as my friend Chris pointed out. But I suggest to find an integration with the "Musical Instruments" forum. My suggestion is to make a single board with child boards, like this:

Pro Audio
--> Guitar/bass amps
--> Public Address (mixers, speakers, power amps...)
--> Recording Studio Electronics (restoring old things, building effects...)

What do you think about this? I know that more forums aren't always better, but here we're adding 3 new ones by deleting (or better, moving/splitting) one! So total 2 new ones added, not that much.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Giaime,

That's kind of my approach also- In my original post I included the instrument amp people.

Leadbelly,

I know what you are saying, and it is a concern and I'm sure that the phenomenom you are referring to is real. I may be wrong, but I think that if we restructure things somewhat we can make people keep in touch with more threads. That is why we won't add any forums until we can reorg around here a bit....

As an audio pro myself I will strongly welcome an audio pro forum here. Although DIYaudio has been growing very much in the last years there is still much ground to cover. I am also looking forward to consumer versus professional discussions, about the ambivalence of values and methods, about different necessities of creating and/or re-creating sound.
There are many audio pro forums in the net nowadays, but no dedicated DIYforum for that. Think of all those compressors, filters and preamps possible, and also software resources experience sharing, soundcards mods etc. I think also that the lot of non-pro computer audio users here could probably get certain profit.

ad astra!

Klaus

Guys,

Could I make a suggestion in the most diplomatic of ways... or at least try?

Might I suggest opening a forum or two, or four? Perhaps: 1) live, stage, and sound reinforcement. 2) studio, recording, and mixing. 3) dj and karaoke. 4)??????

Now, let the experts change/refine the names as they see fit. My only concern is that everyone from chipamps to plasma speakers made with powder Rhino horn ioniziner, would like to wear the badge "Pro" on their projects, systems and beliefs. Pro falls in to some distinct categories... but pro means: doing it for living.

For the sake of diplomacy, I will keep the balance of reasons for this suggestion largely unsaid.

:D ;) :xeye:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, to be honest .... We are going to get a similar amount of "got a schematic for X?" and "this doesn't work so ... ?" along with making jigs and getting gear to talk to each other.

This is okay in the current threads and the discussions will be interesting I'm sure. So I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment. You may even learn how to setup and calibrate a Studer, and what tape (Agfa) to avoid. :D

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.