Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Nixie is offline Nixie  Canada
Banned

Default World copper supply running out!!!

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...FE83414B7FFE87
Old 19th January 2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Nixie,

I have moved this to everything else.

I guess it's not a surprise, everything runs out. One nice thing about copper is how much is recycled. I've made many a beer night for the boys from old copper flashings on re-roof projects. I can imagine a lot of old wire and pipes see the same fate. So how long before it really runs out?
Old 19th January 2006, 12:58 AM   #3
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't think about, "not enough copper"... think about, "Too many people".... and then do your part... spay your children and other pets.
Old 19th January 2006, 01:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you need wire, just look above the suspended ceiling of any office. I'll wager that there will be a lot of old network cabling that can be recycled or re-used. Most of the time, these so-called network professionals will just string up new cable rather than trace/test/remove the old cable.

:)ensen.
Old 19th January 2006, 01:13 AM   #5
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't hold your breath. We've been "running out" of something oir other for a century. Besides metals go away they just get moved around There's a fair chance the gold on your RCA turminals Once belonged to thje Inca until the Spanish appropriated, until Btitish privateers appropriated it untilit was used to buy tea in China until the Japaese or Russians appropriated it and used to to plate the RCA terminals on your 47 Lab GainCard.

In the heyday of pre-digital photography, it was said that nearly half the world's stock of silver circulated several times a year through Rochester, NY. Think KodaChrome!
Old 19th January 2006, 01:37 AM   #6
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Short-sighted scaremongering. Follow the money friends.

Remember the Peak Oil theory? Remember how last year we heard of discoveries that about doubled our estimated oil in the ground?

We don't know where all the copper in the world is.

By the time we actually do run out of copper, look for it to be replaced already with carbon nanotubes and whatnot.
Old 19th January 2006, 01:47 AM   #7
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Not many know it but the Middle East is NOT our largest and most important supplier of oil. It's <gasp> Canada. What a terrible fate to be at the mercy (merci?) of the Canuckistani's.

I once had shares in a uranium mine. Not a great investment but I did notice that year after year "proven reserves" were always about the same. I was puzzeled until someone explained to me that "Proven reserves" has little or nothing to do with geology but a great deal to do with the SEC, audit firms and bean counters.
Old 19th January 2006, 02:23 AM   #8
maxro is offline maxro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sam9
Not many know it but the Middle East is NOT our largest and most important supplier of oil. It's <gasp> Canada. What a terrible fate to be at the mercy (merci?) of the Canuckistani's.
I guess we should get some real national defence of our own then?

Max
Old 19th January 2006, 02:25 AM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Guys, let's keep this away from politics.
Old 19th January 2006, 02:48 AM   #10
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

I know a man in construction, hes had the experience of finding all the pipes hed put in last week ripped out and sitting by the dumpster all in a bundle.

Theres a very aggresive recycling gang operating in Blatimore. They come wearing orange vests and hard hats, set out traffic cones and systematically steal aluminium light poles. Over 130 stolen and counting.

Hide this!Advertise here!