World copper supply running out!!! - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2006, 08:20 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Poobah,

I lived my teen years in Vancouver,(BC not Washington). I went to the YMCA Camp Elphinstone just up the road from Gibson's Landing where the long runniung CBC show "The beachcombers" was filmed. Awesome country. I miss it.

All,

One company that thinks it won't go belly up if the copper disappears is Ex-Copper They win or it's free! Yah right.
Old 15th February 2006, 12:04 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Default Cu, Al, The Ringworld

First...when are they going to make a movie of "Ringworld"? Count me in to wait in the ticket line. Who to play Louis Wu? Keanu Reeves looks the part...how about Johnny Depp? Since Louis was/is on the anti-aging drugs...how about David Carradine as a more mature Louis? Just some musings.

Regarding power...I completely agree that it's damn foolish to just burn such a useful substance as oil. I am firmly in the nuclear camp...with a twist. Settle onone one, simple, efficient design and just build it over and over again. Then, train a cadre of workers to operate said plants. They'd have an "esprit de corps" akin to the old Merchant Marine...plus would be fully cross-trained and able to work in any plant anywhere. The power generated could either go right into the grid, or be used to electrolyze seawater into hydrogen and that nasty ol' waste product, oxygen...with the added benefit of the extraction of gold, silver, magnesium and other useful metals in solution in seawater. The hydrogen could be burned directly in vehicles with little modification, or used in fuel cells.

Now...the subject of nulear waste. First of all...it's not waste..it's future fuel for breeder reactors. Just park it in the middle of the Mojave with a battalion of Marines to keep an eye on things, and it'll be waiting for its turn to be reprocessed.

We could very easily convert to a nearly all-electric economy in relatively short order, thus rendering the oil-rich nasty nations irrelevant. (And, taking away the grist the idiotic terrorists feed on as well)

I'm on the waiting list for my hydro-powered Kamakiri...how about you?
Old 15th February 2006, 12:16 AM   #63
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I can't imagine Keanu Reeves as Louis Wu. Maybe Kitaro?

Now, Tony the Tiger as Speaker to Animals, that I can get behind. Joe Pesci as Nessus.
Old 15th February 2006, 11:22 AM   #64
diyAudio Moderator

I see Nessus more as a Dame Judi Dench type figure. Louis Wu - Jet Li, and Speaker to Animals, Sean Bean.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th February 2006, 03:26 PM   #65
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are we finished with copper?
Old 15th February 2006, 04:32 PM   #66
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Cal, are you moderating the moderaters?

Old 4th March 2007, 03:36 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
Are we finished with copper?
probably.....

my GCSE physics teacher used to humourosly giggle at the green types and their electric cars - "not enough copper in the world he said" even then I feared for my radio...

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!