World copper supply running out!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Poobah,

I lived my teen years in Vancouver,(BC not Washington). I went to the YMCA Camp Elphinstone just up the road from Gibson's Landing where the long runniung CBC show "The beachcombers" was filmed. Awesome country. I miss it.

All,

One company that thinks it won't go belly up if the copper disappears is Ex-Copper They win or it's free! Yah right. :smash:

Cu, Al, The Ringworld

First...when are they going to make a movie of "Ringworld"? Count me in to wait in the ticket line. Who to play Louis Wu? Keanu Reeves looks the part...how about Johnny Depp? Since Louis was/is on the anti-aging drugs...how about David Carradine as a more mature Louis? Just some musings.

Regarding power...I completely agree that it's damn foolish to just burn such a useful substance as oil. I am firmly in the nuclear camp...with a twist. Settle onone one, simple, efficient design and just build it over and over again. Then, train a cadre of workers to operate said plants. They'd have an "esprit de corps" akin to the old Merchant Marine...plus would be fully cross-trained and able to work in any plant anywhere. The power generated could either go right into the grid, or be used to electrolyze seawater into hydrogen and that nasty ol' waste product, oxygen...with the added benefit of the extraction of gold, silver, magnesium and other useful metals in solution in seawater. The hydrogen could be burned directly in vehicles with little modification, or used in fuel cells.

Now...the subject of nulear waste. First of all...it's not waste..it's future fuel for breeder reactors. Just park it in the middle of the Mojave with a battalion of Marines to keep an eye on things, and it'll be waiting for its turn to be reprocessed.

We could very easily convert to a nearly all-electric economy in relatively short order, thus rendering the oil-rich nasty nations irrelevant. (And, taking away the grist the idiotic terrorists feed on as well)

I'm on the waiting list for my hydro-powered Kamakiri...how about you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.