DIY wireless communication

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My wife and I want to communicate on my motorcyle without wires connecting each helmet mounted mic and headphone set to the motorcycle. It would seem that FM or Bluetooth technology should work. But how to make it is the big question. I figure FM to be the easiest but I am open to any opinions that we move me toward wireless communication. This could be a fun project for me. If you can lend expertise I'd appreciate it.

I also forgot to include that we want stereo music while we ride. The walkie talkie idea is a good one for just talking.
I have an intercom/music system but of course it has wire connections to the helmets. If I could replace the wires with wireless transmission that would be cool.

What your thinking about is neither...ctxt

...cheap, or easy.

Where I used to work we made wired and wireless intermcoms for vehicles. Are you using full face shields, then a boom microphone might be in order. If not, wind noise is going to be a problem. Don't get me started about throat microphones. That's another topic for another decade.

The least intrusive (perhpas cost effective) method.

Let's say that you and the wife have seperate Walkmen (ipod, whatever) personal stereos.

Any number of sutable head sets that work under helmets are avalable. Im thinnking of computer style headsets with a mic and a stereo head set.

What you need is a COR or in ham radio speak, a carrier operated relay in a modified FRS (UHF Family service radio).

When the radio unsquelches a switch happens.

There may be legal issues with modding FRS radios. Check into that.

The COR will operate either an electronic or mechanical switch in the path of the headset. So the headset plugs into a connector on the modified two way radio, and the personal stereo plugs into the same modified two way.

What you will get is a fairly clunkey but workable wireless intercom with some useable range for not a lot of money. If the right connectors are used, no mods to the headset or the Walkman.

There will be some RFI issues having a transmitter right next to the Walkman. So the two way radio may have to be in a back pocket or back of a riding vest, while the walkman is near the front.

Some years ago, I built a somewhat similar gizmo. It was an interface between a pocket scanner and a car radio.

Then adapted that to a mobile radio direction finding system.

The first car radio system used a mechanical relay, so when the police scanner had something to say, it would 'click' and interupt the music program and play it out via the car radio's speakers.

The second one, I refined my methods and used electronic switching via a 4066 switch, a touch faster to catch short interval transmissions.

You know what's funney, I came on the board to read about fancy hi fi gadgits, and I end up talking about 10 year old projects.

If you need more details, I suppose I can sketch out what was done. The company has issued me a document scanner, bout time I learned how to use it.

The COR was subtle because the 'discriminator' IC in the police scanner can't deliver any real current, and had to be buffered with a power mosfet transistor.

So the question is how much money do you want to spend on something that may not be legal or a safety hazzard while driving?

If the legal side checks out, you may have given me a product to build for a small market.

Also check the JC Whitney auto parts book, they have some bike intercoms as well.

Much luck
Jack Crow TDY in Kuwait.

diy wireless comunication

i understand this thread is really old, but i have similar questions for a diy wireless system for my bike. i have moderate skills for soldering electronics etc.. and would love any advice or ideas you may have. specifically looking to design a wireless system for 2 helmets, using old headsets and mics, what i dont have or cant find is the wireless part. i have thought of using a cheap set of walkies, rip them open and re purpose them, but how would i make them 2 way communicate when normally you have to push the button to use them? if anyone sees this thread and can help, thanks

Pushing the button operates a switch, so you have to provide a switch. In most cases, you can't do simultaneous 2-way communication because simple devices are normally simplex, not duplex.

Under some administrations, fiddling with the insides of a communications device renders it illegal unless you have an amateur radio licence. This is because devices intended for use by the non-technical public have to be type-approved and any modification cancels this.

thank you

understandable for the one way at a time or "open" comunnication. i definitely want an open mic, "so to speak", so both of us can communicate without using buttons. and wireless so theres no fuss with cables.

i have an older pair of motorola talk about. not that i want to dissemble them but if it could be done cheaply i think i would use them for it, since all the wireless intercom systems i have seen online range from $100 to $250.

not too worried about the legal side of it, i happen to live in a country that has very few laws and the ones it does have arent followed anyway, not that i am advocating breaking the law but here they have much worse things to worry about then me cracking open my personal consumer radio. and i doubt they care much about 2 way radios on such a low end use.

have any ideas for how to re purpose a set of 2ways for an intercom system?
thanks

thats actually a really good idea
i think i can find cheap walkies here (tirana, albania) all day long
rip it open and rewire for sound to come out of one speaker, then repackage into something that i can mount on the helmets
i understand VOX, i have that on my Motorola SX900 talk about, but i was thinking the wind while driving might interrupt that function
still you have given me a good direction
thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.