I Wish!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Maybe the would give a long lost cousin a break. I once did a search on my name and came up with everything from a six year old kid who raced motorcycles to, several PHD academics. Had a great time sending email to strangers with the same name. Kurt Vonnegut has a word for these groups: Grandfallons

"If you wish to study a granfalloon, Just remove the skin of a toy balloon."

http://www.duke.edu/~crh4/vonnegut/catscradle/index.html

Fred

Temporary Confusion....

I saw a humour/doco lately regarding a New York film maker who found people of his same name and brought them together in the same room and interviewed them.

I also have two namesakes that I know of - In a phone company I worked for I would get his internal mail (and vice versa).
Another time I was up the local pub bumping in and setting up a friends DJ system one Friday night.
I was introduced to this fellow and it went like this (noisey environment so hard to communicate clearly)......
Me - "How yer goin, I'm Eric".
Him - "Yes, I'm Eric"
Me - "I mean I'm Eric"
Him - "I'm Eric too"
Me - "Oh, ok, I'm Eric McMillan"
Him - "Yes, I'm Eric McMillan"
Me - "I mean I'm Eric McMillan" wondering if he is taking the **** out.
Him - "Yeah, I'm Eric McMillan too"
Me - "You mean we are both Eric McMillan"
Him - "Yes"
Me - "Get outta here !"
Both - "Lol, lol, lol"
Him - "Did you have a party a while back ?"
Me - "Yeah, my twenty first birthday party"
Him - "Oh, I got a very nice thankyou card in the mail a while back from somebody I don't know - it must have been for you"
Both - "Lol, lol, lol"

It turns out that he was the son of the old Scottish bloke who ran the local bike shop where I bought my road racing bike bits, and I had never met him.

Sometimes this can be a small world indeed.

You're quite right, Eric

Everytime I fly somewhere, my mind boggles at the sheer volume of people that the plane is passing over.

Yet, a few years ago, I bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in a while in a small town in Europe.

Haven't seen them since either.

It really can be an amazingly small world at times

Later

Ken L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.