Aluminium soldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any experience of soldering aluminium cases rather than screwing the bits together?

I'm just after some basic info, ie. is it cheap? is it easy/difficult? what equipment do you need? does it warp the sheets the way aluminium welding can?

Cheers
joseph.

Any particular reason for soldering the case together? Been thinking about alternatives myself the last couple of days. Haven't looked into it yet but was quite intrigued with the idea of special adhesives (as with Lotus Elise and its 'glued together' chassis). Anybody out there with knowledge of this field?

Paul

Paul,

I used to glue aluminium L-profiles to the bottom plate of my amps and connected the sidepanels with screws. I used "Bison kit" two component metal glue. This is mixed 1:1 and takes a few hours to dry unless you apply heat with an hot air gun wich speeds up the hardening proces.

When dry this makes for a very good connection wich you can only "disconnect" with a hammer and screwdriver.

william

Hello Paul,

yes they did bare some load (I even glued a fixing for my 500VA transformers) and had no problem with it. You just need enough square cm´s and you can glue about anything.

for a translation of the quote you could try "babelfish" or something like that and if the translation doesn´t make a lot of sence it´s probably the right one:spin:

william

capslock said:
Maybe you can give as a hint as to the dialect. Sure doesn't look like Bavarian, more like low German or Dutch, but not quite.

The way I read it is:

A ooievaar in not a king because his ears are too small.

Now what is an ooievaar???

The language is Dutch, I'm certain of that.

konijn = Rabbit
an ooievaar is a kind of bird quite rare, according to http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/7164/woord.htm
is the English word for it: "Stork Ciconia ciconia"

I haven't a dictionary at hand, so can't check it :)

Here is the picture of an ooievaar
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

your Bird in Portugal call "cegonha" and every 400KVA electrical post has at least one nest of those babies.

In here the bird is quite popular, since a huge blackout that occured in half the country.

The Power company guys say that were a poor bird like that that put Portugal out of lights for a couple of hours!! yeah wright!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.