Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2002, 08:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Christian
Default Internet Explorer 6.0

I downloaded the new explorer and it worked fine a couple of days, then it crapped down.

I don't know whats wrong, but it takes about a minute to start the program.
So, I set out to reinstall the older 5.5 verion, but IE6 won't let me. All I get is a message when I that the system has detected a newer explorer and that the installation can't be done.

What shall I do??? how do I get rid of 6.0 ISP

/Chris
Old 27th October 2002, 09:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello Christian,

Try to solve the problem with System Restore,
if your windows support it.
(start-programs-accessories-system tools-system restore)
It should take care it.

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip
Old 28th October 2002, 03:31 AM   #3
mbroker is offline mbroker  United States
diyAudio Member

"Microsoft Internet Explorer 6" appears on my Add/Delete Prorgrams list in Win2kPro. It also shows up in Win98SE. Use this to uninstall IE6, which should then revert back to IE5.5, or whatever you had previously.

IE6 started some "intereting events" on my brother's computer, related to his "Web Trap" software and firewall. No clue if that was spurious of not, tho my brother did adamently blame me for *all* his subsequent computer follies....

Regards,

Mark Broker
Old 28th October 2002, 03:39 AM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
the reason your having this delay in explorer is because there is a file that is damaged but it is still useable. go to networking in start setting and add remove then to windows setup and remove dial up networking the reboot and do that proceedure again but install it. then reboot and all will be fixed but that is for win 98 and win98 se and me 2 k ill have to look it up for you if you need that let me knwo i can help.

Jason
Old 28th October 2002, 09:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot JasonL, it WORKS!!!
I did the reinstallment, an viola! I still don't know what went wrong, but who cares. My explorer works really smoooooth again.

I couldn't find explorer in the windows remove installed progs.
Anyway, thank you all you been a great help.

/Chris
Old 29th October 2002, 08:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

well, guess what, same problem again!!!!
It started again, and whats whorse, I now seem to have gotten some kind of virus this time. It's a program that opens a Pop-Up every! time I start IE.

What shall I do. I have run System Mechanic and deleted everything suspicius, still the problem remains.

I'm going to run a search for files containing the URL to this pop-up but there isn't much I can do anymore. Starting to thinking about formatting and reinstall Win2000 all over.

Any ideas about how to deal with this???
Old 29th October 2002, 09:18 PM   #7
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Well, I'm prejudiced

But if I were you, I would format and reinstall - reinstalling only programs and features that you actually use, while first doing a full thorough scandisk or even a zero fill (some call this a low-level format)

IE is so deeply embedded in the operating system that once you have problems frequently the best thing is to just format and reinstall.

Depending on your usage, it's frequently not a bad idea to format and reinstall once a year - I never seem to make it a year.

I'm running Win2KPro and IE 5.00 - it does everything I want

I suggest doing only the security fixes-patches in terms of updates.

I now stay away from a MS product until at least the second Service Pack is out.

If you only add programs that you actually use and update when you have a true need to do so you'll be more hassle free.

Course, I'm prejudiced!

Ken L
Old 29th October 2002, 09:54 PM   #8
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
as i was writeing up my little write up about uninstalling the networking and installing it i was pondering the fact that it was a viruse because virusees do remove and destroy your conection to open there own ports and ect things you should format and reinstall i use the tools to remove viruses but then yuor system is nver the same format reinstall windows. i know it is a pain but hey fresh clean install yea.. if need help let me know ill help ya inany way that i can..

Jason

and useualy when install a fresh install of widows is goes like this

windows> drivers> then Av ( norton the best.) then install programs one at a time.. i like to ghost my drives. system install fat32 then ghost then convert to ntfs is prefur..
Old 30th October 2002, 05:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chris,

I was having a simular problem after updating to IE6.0 on Win98SE. I tried everything including uninstalling IE completely, but it didn't stop the problem. I then decided to upgrade to Win2k since it is so stable on my work notebook. It wasn't easy (another story), but I got it loaded and the same problem started again, but worse.

Again, I tried for two weeks to fix it to no avail. Last week I upgraded my motherboard and processor from an FIC2013 and AMD K6-3 450 to a Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 1800. I had to reload Win2k (again no fun), but the problem is gone and IE5.0 works fine. I have yet to get the nerve to "upgrade" to IE6.0. Don't know if I want to risk it.

I think my hardware just got too old for the software. They can only support so much backwards compatability before it gets to be too much. I don't know if this is of any help. I hope so.

Good Luck,
Rodd Yamashita
Old 30th October 2002, 07:05 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Well, I'm prejudiced

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken L
But if I were you, I would format and reinstall - reinstalling only programs and features that you actually use, while first doing a full thorough scandisk or even a zero fill (some call this a low-level format)
You gotta love windows. You have to jump thru so many hoops just to keep it behaving badly.

One of the reasons i don't do Windows, just not worth my time. I just stay away from the dark side.

dave
(very predudiced and opinionated Mac user, and now that its a UNIX box even more smug)

Hide this!Advertise here!