Internet Explorer 6.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I downloaded the new explorer and it worked fine a couple of days, then it crapped down.

I don't know whats wrong, but it takes about a minute to start the program.
So, I set out to reinstall the older 5.5 verion, but IE6 won't let me. All I get is a message when I that the system has detected a newer explorer and that the installation can't be done.

What shall I do??? how do I get rid of 6.0 ISP

/Chris

"Microsoft Internet Explorer 6" appears on my Add/Delete Prorgrams list in Win2kPro. It also shows up in Win98SE. Use this to uninstall IE6, which should then revert back to IE5.5, or whatever you had previously.

IE6 started some "intereting events" on my brother's computer, related to his "Web Trap" software and firewall. No clue if that was spurious of not, tho my brother did adamently blame me for *all* his subsequent computer follies.... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Mark Broker

the reason your having this delay in explorer is because there is a file that is damaged but it is still useable. go to networking in start setting and add remove then to windows setup and remove dial up networking the reboot and do that proceedure again but install it. then reboot and all will be fixed but that is for win 98 and win98 se and me 2 k ill have to look it up for you if you need that let me knwo i can help.

Jason

Thanks a lot JasonL, it WORKS!!!
I did the reinstallment, an viola! I still don't know what went wrong, but who cares. My explorer works really smoooooth again.

I couldn't find explorer in the windows remove installed progs.
Anyway, thank you all you been a great help.

/Chris

well, guess what, same problem again!!!!
It started again, and whats whorse, I now seem to have gotten some kind of virus this time. It's a program that opens a Pop-Up every! time I start IE.

What shall I do. I have run System Mechanic and deleted everything suspicius, still the problem remains.

I'm going to run a search for files containing the URL to this pop-up but there isn't much I can do anymore. Starting to thinking about formatting and reinstall Win2000 all over.

Any ideas about how to deal with this???

Well, I'm prejudiced

But if I were you, I would format and reinstall - reinstalling only programs and features that you actually use, while first doing a full thorough scandisk or even a zero fill (some call this a low-level format)

IE is so deeply embedded in the operating system that once you have problems frequently the best thing is to just format and reinstall.

Depending on your usage, it's frequently not a bad idea to format and reinstall once a year - I never seem to make it a year.

I'm running Win2KPro and IE 5.00 - it does everything I want

I suggest doing only the security fixes-patches in terms of updates.

I now stay away from a MS product until at least the second Service Pack is out. :D

If you only add programs that you actually use and update when you have a true need to do so you'll be more hassle free.

Course, I'm prejudiced!
;)

Ken L

as i was writeing up my little write up about uninstalling the networking and installing it i was pondering the fact that it was a viruse because virusees do remove and destroy your conection to open there own ports and ect things you should format and reinstall i use the tools to remove viruses but then yuor system is nver the same format reinstall windows. i know it is a pain but hey fresh clean install yea.. if need help let me know ill help ya inany way that i can..

Jason

and useualy when install a fresh install of widows is goes like this

windows> drivers> then Av ( norton the best.) then install programs one at a time.. i like to ghost my drives. system install fat32 then ghost then convert to ntfs is prefur..

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Chris,

I was having a simular problem after updating to IE6.0 on Win98SE. I tried everything including uninstalling IE completely, but it didn't stop the problem. I then decided to upgrade to Win2k since it is so stable on my work notebook. It wasn't easy (another story), but I got it loaded and the same problem started again, but worse.

Again, I tried for two weeks to fix it to no avail. Last week I upgraded my motherboard and processor from an FIC2013 and AMD K6-3 450 to a Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 1800. I had to reload Win2k (again no fun), but the problem is gone and IE5.0 works fine. I have yet to get the nerve to "upgrade" to IE6.0.:eek: Don't know if I want to risk it.

I think my hardware just got too old for the software. They can only support so much backwards compatability before it gets to be too much. I don't know if this is of any help. I hope so.;)

Good Luck,
Rodd Yamashita

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Well, I'm prejudiced

Ken L said:
But if I were you, I would format and reinstall - reinstalling only programs and features that you actually use, while first doing a full thorough scandisk or even a zero fill (some call this a low-level format)

You gotta love windows. You have to jump thru so many hoops just to keep it behaving badly.

One of the reasons i don't do Windows, just not worth my time. I just stay away from the dark side.

dave
(very predudiced and opinionated Mac user, and now that its a UNIX box even more smug)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Well, I'm prejudiced

planet10 said:

You gotta love windows. You have to jump thru so many hoops just to keep it behaving badly

Linux is a good desktop system if you don't run any professional apps or games.

I need to use Windows, I have both 98SE and 2kPro on the same machine, both run fine with no hiccups. 98SE runs without IE, i used 98 Lite to set up a small 98 system which only runs my games, and my full blown 2K install runs my Music Production software...

Seems the pop-up is gone now? Haven't shown
today anyways :) I ran the repaire tool, thanks Jean, and it runs pretty smoothe now, it doesn't hang every time I open a new window etc. But I don't know for how long.

There's still a delay of a couple of seconds everytime I start/open something from the Desktop. May this virus is still there lurking??

/chris

Linux is a good desktop system if you don't run any professional apps

I would still be running Linux, if it weren't for apps. I don't run any games

I have several different needs for sharing docs,etc. with others via e-mail.

I ran Linux for about 7 or 8 months and having to keep getting on another machine for various things was too much hassle.

While I'm not really keeping up, I'm hopeful that the open source community will bring in the ability to run PC programs on a Linux platform.

That's how I would like to run a 'puter if I could.

Ken L

i say this WINDOWS SUX and mac is wining there respect more..

im buying mac to get away from all these problems.. YEAH plantet10..

you probably have a viruse you should get that looked at.. and adaware HAHAHA that is going to cause more problems that it is worth but hey its your computer not mine..

im just a tech so ido know what im talking about..

IE 6 and pre-XP Windows

Life is much simpler if you keep components on your system within the generation of the Operating System you're running, i.e., (pun intended) with Win 2000 = IE 5.5 or lower, Win 95 don't install Visual Studio 6 (that's when I made up this rule), etc.

The fact that XP shipped with IE 6 should be a clue.

Anybody on one of the hybrid versions (95,98,Me) is just waiting on a serious accident to happen. I have heard every excuse under the sun for not upgrading; most of them relate to bad habits (not saving license keys or original discs) and penoriousness (I propbably spelled that wrong; I mean being cheap). Oddly, the cheap ones can usually afford to do it but they think that the computer should last as long as the Vise-grip they inherited from their grandfather.

It won't.

Before anyone accuses me of bias, I have 2 Win 2K machines, 1 Linux, and 1 Win XP Pro.

My rant of the day is over.

Lisandro_P said:
I said it before and i'll say it again:

www.opera.com

Thank me later :D

Have been for a year and a half now ;) Although there still is some "incompatibility problems" with some web sites that force me to use IE.... Usually the "only Flash" sites.

Clear the internet history, and dial down the cache to a few 10s of MB in the Internet Settings.

Uninstall all the software you don't use at least once every few months. Make sure to check the Program Files folder to verify the software was completely removed.

Clear all the contents in the /temp and windows/temp.

Run checkdisk, then defrag.

Also, stop installing every stupid piece of software you run across on the internet. :)

I thought that there was a Windows Emulator available for Linux already?

Mark Broker

mbroker said:
Have been for a year and a half now ;) Although there still is some "incompatibility problems" with some web sites that force me to use IE.... Usually the "only Flash" sites.

Yeah, i encontered some too, but since i installed Opera 6 i had NO compatibility issues with any site. I have the browser set to identify as MSIE5.0, that could help...

Good software. Once you get used to it, it makes you wonder why can't they all make it like that anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.