CES 2006 Pics and report

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my CES 2006 report and pics.

I had to be in Las Vegas Saturday for my friend's 40th birthday and it coincided with CES. Thanks to no one responding to my plea to sneak me into CES, I made up some industry credentials and in we go.

Registration took a really long time, had to ride a bunch of busses to the convention center then somewhere else for registration.

My friends and I were so mad about the inability to get around we wanted to make a t-shirt "I rode the busses at CES 2006".

Eventually got to the floor and then headed to Alexis Park to see all the bling bling. Walked for like 2 miles before figuring out that we would never make it, and jumped in a cab, arriving finally at about 2pm. Ok, gotta run and snap photos as fast as I can.

Did not see Nelson, did see Desmond Harrington and Kent English.

I have no time to go into the details, but here are medium res pictures all up on my site-

*** download warning *** if you have dialup, get some coffee.

CES 2006 Picture Set #1

CES 2006 Picture Set #2

I was most impressed by those Avalon speakers and of course Burmester (end of page 2) and MBL.

MBL had a separate room with the biggest amps I have ever seen driving those radial tire speakers, and the room was packed. People were just ga-ga over the sound. Never seen grown men behave like that before, except in court.

The metal sound design speakers (#41-46) sounded good, lot of metal on them. Looked very impressive as well. Nice people in the room too.

Merlin sounded great, a guy in there was complaining about some other people in the industry. But those small speakers did sound great, lots of bass for small size, but that's what everyone says about good small speakers.

to be continued....

I heard mostly everything, and to me they all sounded simply fantastic. I really think everyone did a good job with setup and people were just hanging out playing music.

"Nelson's prototypes?" What are you talking about? the speakers? I heard the new speakers and they sounded excellent. The Aleph J was static and not connected to anything while I was there...I think.

The RBH monster's in pic #25 sounded awesome. They were playing solo drums through them very loudly and the bass was deep and tight, the cymbals were shimmering and delicate. Went by another time and acoustic guitar was playing (loudly) and sounded like they had 10 people in there playing guitar.

Course it helps that they were being driven by a megabuck Boulder amplifier.

Pic 66 (I think its an Opera speaker) in the Graaf room was not playing at the time I was in there. The Graaf guys were very nice however, but they did not bring any of their tube power amps or preamps :( Only the integrated. I have the literature for that speaker if you want it. Not shown are the 4 or 5 tweeters on the back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.