Possible Replacement for My Adcom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the last few months I have had the worst time getting my GFA 585 amp fixed. I would seem since Adcom has gone broke a few times now they no longer feel the need to support the older products :bawling: This has made my life grim as my favorite amp has been very difficult to get repaired I think a long time fan of Adcom needs a change. Now before I spend a bunch of money on amps that either can’t be repaired or lack the warm and powerful sound that Adcom for many years has been king of in the mid price amps.

So here is my question: What amp should I be looking at that can fill the shoes of the Adcom GFA 555, 565, and 585? Oh Ya! Without putting me in the poor house!! I should probably add, I listen to Hard Rock at high volume and tight and clean is a must!

Adcom Mono Replacement

I feel your pain Dude. I have two of the 565s and the DC offset problem has started with one of them requiring replacement of the electrolytic capcitors on the circuit boards attached to the heat synchs. Not the 2 tall boys. Anyway - the boards have to be cleaned and the caps replaced. I can't find a decent place to do this for me and I live in NYC. I got suckered for $200 by Cosmophonic of 82nd Street in Manhattan. They are Adcom's repair service. One guy on another forum said to use them as boat anchors at this point and he may be right. Anyway - I just bought a Rotel RB 1070 which is a stereo power amp that runs about 160 W into a 4 ohm load. The 4 ohm is the minimum. I would have liked the Rotel 1080 or 1090 but I got two sticks to rub together and a tough job to replace or repair them someday. In the meantime, the Rotel 1070 can be mono-bridged and put out 330 W (could power the Wilson Grand Slams with that power). Anyway - as to the sound. Solid bass but a bit boomy. A bit bright on the highend. Decent imaging and an adequate soundstage. I feel like I went down a notch or two but I think that for $700 you will be hard pressed to get anything better and it comes with a 5 year warranty. The way I look at it is that my monos are over 15 years old and even if I fix them or dig up Houdini to do the same without turning them into the aforementioned boat anchors. It is a compromise but survivable. I have some classic DQ 20s and a 565 preamp and it sounds nice but can it ever sound good enough? If you're reading this - you know the answer to that question. I like the Rotel 1070 and would recommend that though I'm sure my opinion is just that. As to hard rock, you will have the power to blow the windows out of your abode. As to sound quality - a bit of a trade off but for that price - a steal.

:smash:

I have had fair treatment with a guy I can trust here in Racine, Wisconsin. He combines the odd circumstances of craftsmanship, knowledge, and fairness. I have had ancient Adcoms and Marantz's fixed by him ~ hundred to two hundred bucks and one or two weeks. I trust him implicitly.

I will be happy to forward name & address off line. Don't hassle or hondle the guy... he's quiet & reserved.

cmanning-at-metalworkingsystems.com

Re: Adcom Mono Replacement

sydpaintsnomore said:
I have two of the 565s and the DC offset problem has started with one of them requiring replacement of the electrolytic capcitors on the circuit boards attached to the heat synchs. Not the 2 tall boys. Anyway - the boards have to be cleaned and the caps replaced. I can't find a decent place to do this for me and I live in NYC.

What about this place in NY? My GFA-585 has the same problem and they have offered to fix it for $175.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.