Uni - electrical or electronic engineering?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i am shortly going to university, I have the choice of southampton for electronic engineering or electrical engineering and the same at newcastle and loughborough. All of these are for masters.

I would like the opinion of anyone who has done a degree in either to give me information on which is the better degree to do. My interests cover all areas and i do not have a particlar area that i enjoy more.

Thanks
rob

Where do you see youself working when you finish?
Realistically electrical means becoming a professional engineer and working in power generation.
Electronic means microprocessors/chip design/radar these days, I don't think anybody teaches analogue well in the last 20 years

bob123 said:
my main areas of interest are:

HV - tesla coils, EMP e.t.c.
Audio - Amps, mixers e.t.c
Regardless of which degree path you choose, I strongly suggest taht you visit the Lindsay's Technical books website. There are several books on building tesla coils and turbines, as well as re-printed books on the subject of tubes and their applications in radio, including the Thordarson Transformer Manual and a book on how to build your own regenerative receiver. Just thought I'd mention it...

well id quite like to go on to design class d amplifiers and work with digital audio. As that seems to be the way forward at the moment as far as audio is concerend. I dont know much about microprocessers as it is quite a difficult thing to do in your garage.

How much do the two degrees cross over covering the same topics?

What are the employment prospects of either degree?

Baring in mind that i dont particualy want to end up working on power generation which do you think i am better suited to?

Go for tronics dude...

There is large crossover though.

What's in common:

Math - well beyond calculus
Physics - Statics & Dynamics
Maybe chemistry
Electronic devices

'trical:
Rotating machinery
Power distribution
Basic computer programming

'tronic
Semiconductor theory - halfway advanced
Microprocessors - some advanced programming
Digital communication

This is just a rough guide. I got my degree in the 1890's I think things have changed a bit...

There's a ton you can do in your garage with micro's too...cheap

research the people, not the "program", look at profs research interests, recent thesis they've overseen, current student's course ratings, teaching awards, hands-on labs, research opportunities

it is very difficult to be a informed/proactive consumer of higher education, institution’s culture and many profs are biased against any student input on their teaching performance – they assume its your problem for not getting it or that you're trying to cover/excuse your own laziness

on the other hand some genuinely like teaching and will jump at the opportunity to mentor an enthusiastic student - look for these profs and evidence the institution/program makes this possible - don't expect to just attend lectures and collect the degree or you will have shortchanged yourself

I think JCX makes an excellent point... meet the people. As an engineer, the learning NEVER stops. The rigor of the college program is (or should be) there for you to master the art of teaching yourself. You can go either way and still perform the other.

Do keep in mind that when enticements are offered, there is usually a reason, a bad one - :xeye:

Not to sway you one way or the other... but here is another point to consider:

In electrical engineering, the technology is in some ways more stable. Not to say that it is simpler than electronics by any means. But because "electrical" matters are more attached to civil engineering, change takes place at a more prudent and slower pace.

My training was in electronics, rare at the time. For example, I was taught Fortran and Basic programming languages... who uses those now? C and its many derivitives have taken over now. While I learned programming theory... I still have to learn new languages. Electronics AND the device we use changes very rapidly. Stay away from a certain market or technology for 5 years and you practiaclly have to relearn it, because the devices have changed, if you visit it again.

Always keep in mind, the overlap between the 2 doctrines is huge, and physics and math will always guide you better than any current "fashion" in electrical or electronic methods.

I am expressing this clearly enough???

If by "dull" you mean less challenging; use that to your advantage. Your first year of college will kick your **s anyway. Your time will be challenged as will your work habits. If you have a small head start... be happy. You will still learm much but you won't really start learning the "fun" stuff until your 3rd 4th year. By then you will learning things that will make anyone's head hurt... differential equations - :dead:

I guess things are different here in Canada but we dont have a electronics engineering. Everyone does electrical engineering then you pick the particular area of study in your 4th year. Iam in electrical engineering and i design analog CMOS circuits. I design PLL's and current mode amplifiers. Other ppl in the same electrical engineering picked to study power electronics and design motor controllers and the like. But i really doubt you will find anyone who teaches audio amplifier design, that you will have to learn on your own from the foundation you build from school.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.