What's in your car???? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2002, 05:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Ericd2281
Default What's in your car????

I am debating on new components for my car audio and was wondering what other people on here were running in their cars.....

Also, what if would you upgrade to and why?

Has anyone done DIY work for their car audio? If so, how did it work out???

Thanks for the input

Eric
Old 23rd October 2002, 07:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default What's in your car????

Why nothing officer I swear! Look for youself, honest

Tom
Old 23rd October 2002, 07:59 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: What's in your car????

Quote:
Originally posted by Ericd2281
I am debating on new components for my car audio and was wondering what other people on here were running in their cars.....
A V-6 in the truck and a flat-4 in the wife's car... or are you talking about tunes

99.99% of the time i just listen to the radio ... stock system in the car. A Denon cassette deck & modified Bostons in the truck. Nothing to get excited about. A big upgrade would be to replace the antenna on my wife's car (lost in one of the rare snow storms we have here).

dave
Old 23rd October 2002, 08:12 AM   #4
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default "What's in the car?"

Seats and a steering wheel.

- one of my favorite movie lines; from Snatch.

I listen to the stock system in my car. I don't hold out any hope for high fidelity on the road, thanks to all the engine and tire noise. But, I might just add a subwoofer to drown all that out. ...or perhaps that's just the teenager in me talking. Deep down, I still crave deep, loud bass. Can't satisfy that hunger at home (*sigh*... apartment living). Maybe a 10" JL sub and Phoenix Gold amp will cure me.
Old 24th October 2002, 12:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

"Maybe a 10" JL sub and Phoenix Gold amp will cure me."

Just watch out for those nasty surface mount car audio tweeters - most of the ones I've heard will give you tinnitus in about 5 minutes.
I've had loud car audio in the past, but nowadays I'm perfectly content with the original Am/Fm/Cassette and the standard 4" speakers - I can hear the drivetime radio shows and the news perfectly well at 5W/ch.
Besides if I want LOUD, I just turn up my workshop nearfield system - 12" 3 way and 150W/ch.

Eric.
Old 24th October 2002, 03:33 AM   #6
CryingDragon

Koss CD player head unit, 50wX4 at 0.1THD all the way up,Premium Speakers (plymouth's stock premium speakers kick ***) and a 6'' bandpass sub on a 350W jensen amp Right beneath my seat,Screw the masusse i got my own massage (the bass made my rear veiw mirror fall off twice.) I also live apartment sytle and i need my audio fix somewhere.
Old 24th October 2002, 04:05 AM   #7
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
I am using clarion hx-d10 headunit, pg zx475ti amplifier. Front stage is setup using image dynamics two way components 6.5" mid and 1" silk domes (they actually sound very close to my ss9500s . The rear two channels of the amp go to a pair of image dynamics idq v2 12" woofers in sealed box. About 200 sq.ft of sound deadning in the car, multiple layers in places like doors. Floor has extra padding under the carpet to lower road noise. No rear speakers, everything comes from the front. Subs are crossed over at around 70hz.
Old 24th October 2002, 04:20 AM   #8
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Jean
About 200 sq.ft of sound deadning in the car, multiple layers in places like doors. Floor has extra padding under the carpet to lower road noise.
What kind of car do you have? I have 98 civic hatchback, and the road noise is really bad. I applied Dynamat to the drivers door, and trunk to stop the rattling from my sub (small infinity kappa perfect 10 in a small sealed box), driven by an old rockford fosgate punch power 360a. I have more dynamat, but I figured I should figure out a way to reduce road noise first.

How much did you spend on the dampening? Which products did you use? Would normal carpet padding work to dampen the road noise under the carpet?

Thanks for the insight. I started to try to get my car quieter 2 years ago, but I got sidetracked and forgot to finish.

--
Brian
Old 24th October 2002, 04:35 AM   #9
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT

What kind of car do you have? I have 98 civic hatchback, and the road noise is really bad. I applied Dynamat to the drivers door, and trunk to stop the rattling from my sub (small infinity kappa perfect 10 in a small sealed box), driven by an old rockford fosgate punch power 360a. I have more dynamat, but I figured I should figure out a way to reduce road noise first.

How much did you spend on the dampening? Which products did you use? Would normal carpet padding work to dampen the road noise under the carpet?

Thanks for the insight. I started to try to get my car quieter 2 years ago, but I got sidetracked and forgot to finish.

--
Brian
Hello Brian! Like your Thor speakers btw!

Car is 3rd gen. acura integra. I used B-Quiet extreme, Brown Bread and finally B-Quiet V-Comp from www.b-quiet.com. Me and my brother stripped the whole car down in the garage, everythin was yanked out except for the headliner and the dash. Prepped the surface first with cleaning adents, then applied brown bread on the floor , and trunk area. Door panels (inside, sheet metal that gets dings and all) were first cleaned and then one layer b-queit extreme was applied. Then another layer on the door panel itself. Its a two door hb, so there is some areas to the left and right of the back seat that we covered in brown bread. The trunk lid got two layers, the rear tail lights were taken out and that area was deadened too, down to the spare tire well. Before taking the car for new carpet, V-Comp was installed on the floor upto the firewall. The only thing that we did not sound proof is the headliner.

It made a night a day difference though, it was worth it and saved alot of money doing it in the garage instead of taking it to a local car audio shop. Driving the car w/o any interior in it or stereo for that matter for couple months was not cool though
Old 24th October 2002, 05:44 AM   #10
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
hehe, my car audio system is better than my home system!

i have the stock jeep radio, volume knob is about as dirty as they come, FM doesnt work anymore, and most of my speakers are pretty well blown because driving 65mph with no top warrants excessive volume for speakers, thus driving them too hard... but trust me, it sounds so smooooooth.

Hide this!Advertise here!