Who has the dirtiest office or lab?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you all, for the lovely comments. I've been working hard for about two years now, even though all odds seemed to be against me... Unfortunately, I might have to clean it up so I can have my friends over... Darn crazy people and their need for neatness... I happen to find that the pile in the middle of my room is a lovely place to recline! It's like acupuncture without the expensive doctor visit!

At any rate, I've just taken apart a large CTX CRT monitor to get the transformer for my latest project. Hehehe...

I might post more pictures soon.

- keantoken

Relatively tame in comparison, as I don't really break out the big toys (oscilloscope, function generator, etc) until I need them. Most of the time I use my desk actually for my PC as I mainly deal in software development.

Oh, and don't ask about the drawing on the post-it note. My younger brother though it'd be humorous to draw a cartoon chuck-norris-bee and put it in my room. Seriously, don't ask.

More photos to follow...

Attachments

• dsc00793.jpg
    dsc00793.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 393
Tape deck

anatech said:
Hi John,
Is that a Tascam 42 or 52 in the stand back there? What's wrong with it?

I also see a Heathkit power supply sitting on it's side low, center.

-Chris

Hi Chris...

It's a Teac X2000R... with some logic problems that recur. Seems the forward/reverse play latching logic won't latch after the initial startup in play. I've got 2 of them with the same problem... I have to replace a diode and a transistor that overheat and burn up, but haven't had the time to do same... maybe next big snowfall
:(

John L.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Do those machines have the new capstan motor? The original one used Tantalum capacitors across the windings inside. You should see those burn! We replaced many, it seems the reversing models took them out faster, but even the single speed ones ought to have been changed.

They didn't really have any one thing they came in for other than that motor. Many small hard to find faults though!

Ahhh, except this fault with all of them.... The solenoids would stick in the pulled in position. A rubber washer would get gooey and sticky. New washer, clean solenoid and plunger and also demagnetize the plunger. You might also want to make sure the mechanical stuff moves freely. The old machines suffered from "green grease syndrome" and I'm not sure they actually did anything about that. If so, strip, clean and re-grease with something nicer.

Now you know of a couple scary things about these. Aside from possible power supply over heating, I don't think there were any other scary issues with these machines. No common logic problems. All those turned out o be mechanical or a few lightning jobs (all bets being off then).

-Chris

X2000R

Hi Chris..

Yeah, I've been fixing TEACS for 30+ years... after owning Sony's (TC756) back in the 70's, had an x1000R in the '80's, etc.

It's a shame they're both down ... logic problem is with the latching electronics in <play> mode... both decks will intially start with increased tension, then after ~15 seconds, the tape goes slack, the pause button lites, and nogo, and the power to the <play> mode motors drops out.

When my silver one did this 10 years ago, I had to replace a green drive transistor, I think it was a 2SB507, plus a diode that runs hot next to it near the top ctr. of the main board...:(

Just need to dig in and fix 'em one of these snowy nites...

they're too much fun to let sit idle.

l8tr

John L.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
I think I saw some like that. They were rare though. The drop out happens because the arm drops (as you know). You could block the arm up to make sure. They use an RF oscillator for arm position on those if I'm not mistaken, right?

I don't think the logic is at fault, but if the "kick" for the solenoids doesn't work, or the T/U motor doesn't, I can see this happening. I seem to remember replacing some B507s in these, but I used a more robust transistor for replacement. Only because I didn't stock the 2SB507. Yes, those were green. Now how the devil can we remember these things??

Nice to talk to another tech who knows these machines. I always enjoyed working on the older ones. The newer ones were a little "less fun".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.