60watt x 2 into 6 ohm load amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of Pioneer CS-C1000 speakers, they are rated for 60 watts at 6 ohms. I have tried hooking these directly up to my PC but I can barely hear anything from them with the sound card maxed out. I have tried looking for a car amp to boost the sound but they all seem to be set for 4 or 2 ohm speakers and I would rather not risk buring up the amp due to to much resistance from the speaker and the home "style" amps I can find are multiroom 500+ watt models. It does work to hook the PC up to my stereo, but that would still leave this set of speaker unused. Are there any amps that will work fine for my situation? If not how would I go about building one? It doesn't need to be 60 watts, thats just what the speakers can handle (I would think the 12" woofer in it could handle at least double that without a problem).

Car amp speaker with output for 4/2 Ohm
would not 'burn' if you connect 6 Ohm speakers.
because is more resistance (impedance) it will flow LESS CURRENT
and so is safe.

If you would connect less resistance (impedance), for example 1 Ohm speakers
would be less resistance to current flow
and more current means more heat and maybe burn.
But most amplifiers have safety/protection for current
that will limit or even shutdown in case of overload.

All this is only in case you play too loud - too much volume.
At very low volume you will never burn anything, as long as amp and loudspeakers works as they should.
But not recommended to use too low resistence/impedance.

If you have a good power supply in your PC
you may be able to power say a 20-40 Watt car amp module from it.
This would give good enough to power your speakers.

I would also consult the people in Car Audio forum here.
They are the ones that should know very well how to do it.

I just thought to much resistance would make the amp either unstable or work to hard and overheat. So what rating should I get for an amp? If I did my calculations right 85-95 watts at 4 ohms should give about 60 watts at 6 ohms. Crutchfield has a 100w x2 @ 4ohm kenwood amp and a 85w x2 @ 4ohm Profile amp. I'm leaning toward the Profile amp due to it's lower rating and cost.
The power supply in my pc is only 430watts and I have no idea how much unused power it has.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.