Writing Comp paper about IRAA vs MP3, have a questionare

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello everyone, im doing a compostion paper about the IRAA and how it is attacking the MP3 industry, saying that it is only being used for illegal and non positive uses. I have a questionare that I would appreciate some poeple answering that kinda shows MP3 users habits and how they feel about the format. I also posted this questionare on Honda-Tech another forum I visit because its a completely different audience over. I feel that the way they view MP3's is gonna be alot different than the way you guys here do. Anyways thanks for any replies and please if you could just quote it then answer it, makes it easier for me to sort it all.

1.Do you regularly use file sharing programs? (Kazzaa, morpheus, winMX)

2.How may MP3's do you have?
a.1-250
b.250-500
c.500-1000
d.1000+

3.Are a majority of these downloaded or did you burn them yourselves?

4.Have you downloaded songs that you own, but found it easier to just download songs through programs? (As in you legally own an original, and rather than make your own "backup" with a program, you just download one off of Kazzaa or such)

5.Have you purchased a new CD (CD/DVDA/SACD) because of a downloaded song?

6.Do you have songs that you have downloaded, because they are hard to obtain in hardcopy form?

7.Do you feel that MP3 quality is equal to a prerecorded CD.

8.Do you view sharing MP3’s as an illegal act, much like shoplifting?

9. Would you buy more CD's if they were cheaper (like $5 for cd's and say $10 for DVDA/SACD's)

Two things:
  • It is the RIAA
  • CDs are burned, MP3s are ripped.

No

a.1-250
b.250-500
c.500-1000
d.1000+

(d)

Downloaded.

4.Have you downloaded songs that you own, but found it easier to just download songs through programs? (As in you legally own an original, and rather than make your own "backup" with a program, you just download one off of Kazzaa or such)

Easier to download.

Yes.

6.Do you have songs that you have downloaded, because they are hard to obtain in hardcopy form?

Yes.

No.

Illegal-yes. Like shoplifting-no. (Lots of caveats apply)

9. Would you buy more CD's if they were cheaper (like $5 for cd's and say $10 for DVDA/SACD's)

Yes.

1: no.

2: 283 (that would be "b")

3: rip them myself for better quality.

4: no.

5: not from a downloaded song, since I have never downloaded a song, per se. However, I have purchased numerous CDs because I heard the song on an "internet radio" site (streaming MP3).

6: no.

7: yes, but only if done properly, which 99.99% are not. see www.r3mix.org.

8: I agree with Trioth. However I have few moral objections since the typical CD cost pennies to make, the artists get only a few percent, and mastering/engineering the CD is also only pennies on the dollar. The other *very* high percentage of pure profit goes to the RIAA to support their pursuit to shove every awful Band of the Day down our throats. In addition, file sharing has been shown to be helpful to almost all artists, even the awful Bands of the Day. ;)

9: Most definately. or at least make the $15 worthwhile!

I think you need to define "download" better. I think you mean in your questionaire to define a downloaded MP3 as a file you find using Kazaa or the defunct Napster and keep indefinitely. However, the legal definition, to my knowledge (Digital Millenium Copyright Act), includes any streaming mp3 as downloaded.

Mark Broker

no

a.1-250
b.250-500
c.500-1000
d.1000+

845 (c)

downloaded

just downloaded it

yes. Several times

yes.

no. Although I am not always able to make out the difference

no. Although I do feel that it is not good for the music industry

yes, definitely. CD's in The Netherlands cost about 18 - 23 euro's. I find that way too expensive.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Westrock

1-7) I have only ever downloaded two mp3s, I was disapointed in the quality, and have never done so since:angel:

8) You are probably too young to remember "Home Taping Is Killing Music!" a campaign run by record companies to convince us we were all evil pirates in the early eighties. It doesn't seem to have killed music, so they were wrong then , they are probably wrong now!:Pirate:

9) Yes , providing the artists still got a far share of the royalties, and didn't lose out. :rolleyes:

No. Not since Napster was scuttled

d.1000+

Mostly downloaded, however, a large percentage are duplicates of content I already owned or purchased after downloading.

Yes. However, for my most precious albums, I burn carbon-copies for backup, without any mp3 encoding to degrade the sound quality. And, while we're at it, I don't listen to the original. It sits on my shelf, while the "backup" gets regular use, and abuse.

Dozens

Yes. Along with sampling music I haven't heard before, this was one of my primary uses.

Not even close.

Technically speaking, yes but like Tiroth says, not in the same way as shoplifting. I don't consider it outright theft, but I am aware that according to the letter of the law, it's illegal. To me, it's on par with the severity of drinking underage... eg. pretty trivial. My opinion is that neither should be illegal at all. Besides, there's nothing illegal about listening to the radio, is there?

Definitely! The profits made on CDs is highway robbery! There's no reason they should still cost $15-20 each. These ridiculous prices are a very good motivator to download instead of purchase...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.