demagnetizing (mr. feedback question) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2002, 08:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Retiree

Default demagnetizing (mr. feedback question)

In answer to the damagnetizing question in another thread.

XLO / REFERENCE RECORDINGS TEST & BURN-IN CD
http://www.referencerecordings.com/index.htm

System Enhancer CD
http://www.puristaudiodesign.com/main.html

I have the Purist CD and love it.

Sorry to jump threads. I just wasn't up to the usual outcome of posting in that particular thread. Lead us not to temptation as they say.

Fred
Old 21st October 2002, 08:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Demagnetizing.

Hello Fred,

Haven't search for the original question but I suppose it's about the same thing:

In Europe (Denmark to be precise) there's Densen.
From what I hear users report good results.

Here's the url:http://www.densen.dk/

Greetz,
Old 21st October 2002, 09:27 PM   #3
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Fred,
thanx for the hint.

jumping thread: ...

Eric, Frank and all,
not shure if there is a need for cartridge demagnetizers, AKA fluxbusters AKA exorcists.

I own such a device, avoid for MM cartridges .. a must for MC cartridges ...
My thingie comes from audioquest and once was sold for about US$200 over here. Inside a sloppy oscillator made from 2 BJTs and some passive parts.

i looked at the signal with a high-end DSO: the wave is way from being a sine wave and its decay is way from approaching zero X axis asymptotically.
It does a rough job, but the effect already is amazing.

Now i am happy to have bought that rip-off: None reported so far the thingie fries delicate MC cartridge coils. I asked for that on other forums. It is safe. Now i can measure the output resistance and voltage swing and build a proper working thing: an oscillator or signal generator fed into an opamp circuit working as OTA or multiplying opamp. One input is the constant amplitude sine wave, the other one is the decaying voltage of an RC combination. And the output opamp has a series resistor ensuring no cartridge is fried.

No idea when i am going to build that, therefore i am describing the layout here, but when i do, i post details and schematics in the analogue board.

In the meantime you folks can tell me
what different uses the Exorcist/Purist CDs has. Eager to learn new snake oil tricks . I always wanted to toy around with that, but so far it was too much tweaking, audio enlightenment level 2, peripheral toying around with spikes and cables
Old 21st October 2002, 09:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Accessories.

All concerned,

Some guys swear by that stuff here at a Belgian audioforum,claiming some miraculous cures even J.C. would have had a hard time with.
Most offer a CD with signals on,Densen claims to have a CD that actually demagnetizes components,mysteriously.

Bernhard,

The Densen stuff, and all the other companies don't really deal whith that I think,that's real snake oil stuff to me but hey, if it works,why not right?
(Although I hear Densen had a tool called Demagic,I don't think they're still selling it.)
You're talking about recharging cartridge magnets (in particular MC's).
Here I can see an analogy whith LS magnets (not the field coils of course).
Jan Allaerts offers this as a service to custumers,how he does it I don't really know but it must be something along the same lines that you describe.
So far I never felt the need for it but I may just as well ask him to perform the service seeing he still ows me big time.
I remember that AQ thingie though,but pricey no?

Rgds,
Quote:
No idea when i am going to build that, therefore i am describing the layout here, but when i do, i post details and schematics in the analogue board.
Why not?If it's not too hard to make.

Another vinyljunkie's treasure.

Rgds,
Old 21st October 2002, 10:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Retiree

Default Purist Audio CD

A series of tone burst, weighted noise, noise burst ect. This is used for break in and system tuning. I have used it t for breaking in equipment before shipping it out. I even broke in digital cables in the analog domain with it. The most useful breakin device bar none. Really weird sounds some of which sound like exagerated versions of colorations that hear in unbroken in speakers. Leave the room while using of speakers. Oh remove your cat while doing using the Purist CD or it will never be the same and cannot be trusted around people ever again.

I am quite sure that it could induce epileptic seizures in those prone to them. (I actually had this happen with a epileptic reviewer evaluating some digital audio interface devices-with music though.) I resisted the temptation to say "Wait till you hear this you will have a fit" in my advertising though. I am very fond of this person and hope they never read this. I even forgave them for starting a review of my first product with a verse about me to be sung to the tune of the theme song for the Beverly Hillbillies. I was lot calmer person in those days and it was a great review after all....... My friends and a few dealers tweaked me big time though!

Jim Aud of Purist Audio is probably THE TWEAKIEST guy I have ever met and a major contributor to my esoteric Audio education. Oh he is also a former nuclear power engineer and outstanding material scientist. The only guy I know who designs wire with both subjective and rigorous engineering theory. He was doing Cryogenic treatment long beforn anyone in the audio business. He subcontracts to NASA or a vendor that NASA uses I am not sure which. He designed the solder and metalurgy for much of the wire he uses in his cables. One of the few guys I will call a Guru and keep an absolutey straight face while doing so. Oh ya... I have heard a system with over $30,OOO worth of his wire in it. Programable geometry $10,000 speaker wires with 99 possible configurations anyone? I asked him what possessed him to do this and he very calmly (with a Mona Lisa understated smile) said "that one kind of got away from me." Tweaky enough for you guys?

Fred
Old 21st October 2002, 10:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I tried to break in my $19.95 Grado with the burn in CD. Nothing changed. Did I do something wrong?
Old 21st October 2002, 10:50 PM   #7
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dice45
Eric, Frank and all,
not shure if there is a need for cartridge demagnetizers, AKA fluxbusters AKA exorcists.

I own such a device, avoid for MM cartridges .. a must for MC cartridges ...
My thingie comes from audioquest and once was sold for about US$200 over here. Inside a sloppy oscillator made from 2 BJTs and some passive parts.
Excuse me Bernhard, demagnetizing a device containing a permanent magnet??? Is this wise? What is the purpose really?
Old 21st October 2002, 11:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi Bill,

Really don't know.
Were you kidding?

Per,

What it does has more to do with remagnetizing the cartridge,kind of rechrging the batteries and realigning the coil's fields I think.
No expert on this though.
Maybe this is more in Dice's territory?

Ciao,
Old 21st October 2002, 11:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I found this Demagnetiser Schematic with Google.
Attached Images
File Type: gif demag.gif (47.5 KB, 288 views)
Old 21st October 2002, 11:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This circuit looks useful, but it quotes 5mV p-p output - I expect this is inadequate for demagnetising audio line level transformers and larger magnetic items.

Eric.

Hide this!Advertise here!