Satellite radio info - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2005, 02:49 PM   #1
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Satellite radio info

Hello all, I'm thinking about getting satellite radio and was wondering if anyone here has it?. It has just become available as of Dec 1 here in Canada and there's two providers, XM or Serius. I'm thinking on getting XM and want to be able to have it for home use and car use. I'm interested because they advertise it as near cd quality sound and there's lots of different stations to discover new music. Any advice from user's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave
Old 2nd December 2005, 03:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
I don't have one, but I've heard the XM. It is nowhere near cd-quality. It sounds like an mp3 encoded at ~64 kbps.
Old 5th December 2005, 03:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have Syrius in my new Dodge and it came with 1 yr free. Programming is great, but sound quality sucks whole as s. I complained, and was told it was 34Kbits/sec. Whattaya want for nuttn. I can't listen to the music and enjoy it.
Old 5th December 2005, 05:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info, does it atleast sound abit better than normal FM reception and radio? I thought it may be a great way to discover new music. Dave
Old 5th December 2005, 10:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think it sounds much worse, but I've also heard people say it sounds good. My reciever may be worse than the average. My complaint is with the weird effects it has on cymbals. If you can enjoy a MP3 at 32 kbs, you may find it acceptable. I listen to the talk stuff a lot where it's not an issue.
Old 6th December 2005, 02:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, I think I'll have to go hear it for myself. I was hoping it would better FM sort of somewhere between cd quality and Fm reception would have been great, I'll look into it thanks. Dave
Old 6th December 2005, 10:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Who would ever pay $5 a month for something that's free???

That's what I said three years ago. I love XM and from some brief experiences, think it's better than Sirius. If your music includes classical, there are three of those stations. I also enjoy their bluegrass station. Love the X-rated comedy thing also in addition to NPR and BBC. During the holidays they have added three Christmas music stations... makes party music a no-brainer. A couple decent classic rock stations also...

I run it as source using the headphone jack on the Delphi boombox. I also have a car adaptor for the sailboat.

The quality is very listenable for background. It lacks "air" but what's left of the signal is fine by most standards. It's like a mediocre CD recording.

I'll rate it a "9".
Old 6th December 2005, 02:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks chipco that is encouraging to know. I'll just go give it a listen soon myself and see if it's worth it for me. All the different venues of music really appeals to me and being able to discover lots of new music. Someone told me that the hardwired receivers have the best sound and to stay away from the wireless ones etc. Thanks Dave
Old 31st December 2005, 05:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have listened to xm satellite through my directv and I am appalled at the lack of bass.
Old 31st December 2005, 06:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have listened to xm satellite through my directv and I am appalled at the lack of bass.
I think you are correct.

I don't think it's the "same" signal, just the same program.

Hide this!Advertise here!