Classe CA-150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the Classe CA-150 amplifier. I have the opportunity to purchase a used one, taking into consideration that I don't have the money to purchase a new amplifier. Is this a good mid-priced amplifier? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
-Bryan

Bryan,
I confess that I've never cottoned to the sound of the Classe pieces that I've heard (most recently in May or so on Genesis 1.1s, prior to that in a shop in Santa Fe last September [September of '00, that is], and at other random times over the years). They tend towards a rather 'white' or 'grainy' characteristic that leaves me cold.
Note, however, that the company seems to sell a fair number of amps, so there must be people who like what they are hearing. I can't recall ever hearing anything negative about their reliability, so give them points for that.
Is there any way that you can give the amp a listen on your system? That would be the ideal circumstance.

Grey

Unfortunately, I cannot. However, I plan on taking a trip to the local hifi shop to listen to some other classe products. The amp is less than 5 years old, and is supposed to be comparable to newer 151 model. I can purchase the amp, if I choose to, for well under $1000, which happens to be my budget, but I have to be searching realistically for something worth while in this price range. I've also heard that the build quality and power supply is notable, which is one of my main concerns. Thanks for your help.

Bryan

(Any ideas regarding new amps for less than $1000? BTW, this is going to be used with Mirage OM-10 speakers (to be updated by DIY Wilson clones in the next year or two, hopefully), a Denon 3801 preamp (may change as well), and a Meridian 602 CD Transport.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.