What soldering Iron?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have always had problems with iron affordability and reliability. I finally settled on some cheap "Chicago Tool" type irons from Big Lots. They don't break off at the handle when I pry part leads :eek: while heating them. They also have tip openings which can accept 8AWG solid copper wire so I no longer have to worry about not being able to get tips.

When I need more heat I slip an aluminum foil sleeve over the main body to retain heat. It normally runs rather cool for a 30 watt iron anyway because I make the tips extend 3-4 inches to reach into tigtht spaces easier. I also bend the tip for the same reason.

I'm paying for it? Hakko 936 (what I have on my bench at home). Easy to use, fast heat up with good heat regulation. Tips last a long time, are available in a wide assortment of sizes/types and are reasonably priced. Very high quality parts and construction in general. SMT tweezer handset available for a reasonable cost. Very reliable iron.

Cost is no object? Metcal. I have two of these at work. They have an incredible ability to regulate the tip heat no matter what you put them on. I can unsolder a TO-220 heat sink from a PCB with the small tip on the Metcal. None of the other soldering irons I use (Weller, Hakko, etc) can do that.

Phil

I vote for Weller here.

I use a very simple and basic WTCP-S station I once got for my birthday. That was over 10 years ago! I have changed the tip once, and it needs a change again soon.

The fact that Weller stations are originally meant for industry purposes makes them very trustworthy. No problem if you leave them on for a night (or two).

Although it features 40 Watts, it has never been too little for the big jobs, and it has never been too much for, like SMD :)

It's Weller for me now, and it will be for ever!

Bouke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.