pioneer sa9500II AMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI,can anyone help me to fix my pioneer sa-9500IIamp?..i know its old,,,but it works,,,except if i go near the wires ie:mains wire,,it switches off...and makes a very unhealthy noise from the plug..
i see theres 2 ground outputs on back,,,where are they supposed to be goin to...is it into the plug(the neutral bit)....?
at the mo,,theres one wire comin from the right groundin thing on the amp..and goin into the plug,,,middle bit,,,is this right,,,i think this is probably wrong ,,,but want to be sure before i do anythin,,,please help...im only used to the usual 3 wires goin into the plug....and colour coded as well as all comin from the same line out.
:xeye: ....hope its a simple as i feel right now,,,hehe..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi djmaiden,
Welcome to Diyaudio!
Luckily it sounds like broken connections in your AC plug. I am completely unfamiliar with UK standards but I'll suggest something.

Sometimes there is a fuse in the plug. Check to see if the contacts or any connections are loose. You may see some arc marks, or just black marks where this is happening.

-Chris

pioneer sa95oo amp

hi there,thanks for your reply.
i did check inside the plug and it all looks ok except im not familiar with there being a seperate grounding wire comin from the back of the amp.usually here all 3 wires are together in the same lead and just go into the plug as usual..ie:blue /left...brown/right and green/middle(neutral or earth as its called)...but......on this amp...the mains lead has only 2 wires ,,,and inside the plug ,,,one is to the left and one to the right,,,but theres no coulour in the wires here....and then theres 2 grounding connectors on back of amp...left one and a right one,,,and at moment,,,theres only 1 wire comin from the right one which is connected to the middle(earth) part inside plug....thats why i was wondering if this could be whats causing the problem,,,,should there be a wire coming from both left and right grounding outputs from the amp...into the plug,,both joining in the earth connection or what....?please let me know if you know more from this,,,or can find out somehow...thanks,nicole

sa9500 amp

yea i see what you are sayin but its a us amp anyway and its old....
iv never seen a two wired mains lead before....what does this mean or suggest,and if you cont know about this can you direct me to someone who does asap as i need to get it sorted,ive never used these forums....am usually too busy,and just need some answers from someone who knows....any ideas please let me know ,thanks,
nicole 8 )

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some of the things you have mentioned seem very strange to me, which might be because I am in the US!

I wonder how the amp is working on UK 220 volt mains if it is a US spec model? Pioneer stuff is from Japan, and a US version would need a transformer to work on 220 volts. Some old equipment in the US didn't have grounds which would be dangerous with 220 mains.

The grounds you mention seem really unusual also. I hope the ground connection you are using isn't the one meant to be hooked to the phono turntable!!

The best idea I have is for you to post a photo of the entire back of it where the wires are. It is a pain to do because the photo files have to be pretty small in size. Use the lowest resolution of your camera and it might work...or you could e-mail it to me and I could prep it for posting.

pioneer sa9500II earthing????

hi variac,

unfortunately i cant get a picture of the back of the amp right now,
but theres a round voltage selector which is currently set to 240 v
(not 220)....it has a screw in middle presumably so you can alter it if necessary...so i dont think this is a problem...as uk mains is usually
240v.
however what you were saying about the grounds terminals is strange ...i agree...that is what im trying to ascertain.
i think these two grounds terminals on the back are meant for turntables or something(cant see why else they would be there),
but....when i got the amp,i saw that one of these terminals was being used to connect into the ac plug with a thin wire....and at the time as i didnt know....i presumed this was for a good reason...; /
however,seeing that the amp is not working properly....and it always cuts off when i touch the mains lead near the plug...i think this may be the cause of some of ...if not all the problem here.

so my main question is should this amp have a normal 3 wired mains lead????....ie with an earth connection....
or is it ok with just the two wired lead it has on it now?
and should i then try it with just the two wired lead connected,and take out this silly piece of wire which is comin from one of the grounds terminals goin to the earth in the mains lead???
hope this makes it clearer...as im dying to try this ...but simply wanted to find out what was goin on with this 2 wired mains lead......as its an old amp....is it earthed internally or something....?......it must of been done differently then as this is def thr orig mains lead as it has 1977!!!!!! printed on the wire....haha.

nicole

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nicole,
Here's a picture of different plugs. Can you select one to help us understand? Don't touch the voltage selector, it's fine at 240V.

/Hugo :)

Attachments

• mvc-418f.jpg
    mvc-418f.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 105
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nicole,
I think I understand the confusion now. Here in North America, these units were supplied with a two wire AC plug. That's why this is confusing to us over here.

The addition of the third ground connection may be law where you are. That is why one of our members from your area should speak to this.

Your fault sounds like the wire has broken just behind the AC plug boot, replacement of the plug would be the correct fix. It must be done in accordance with the laws in your area.

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: pioneer sa9500II earthing????

djmaiden said:
but theres a round voltage selector which is currently set to 240 v
(not 220)....it has a screw in middle presumably so you can alter it if necessary...so i dont think this is a problem...as uk mains is usually
240v.

If the amp has one of these then it is not US Spec. At the time of this amp, it was against the rules to ship a unit that had any switchable mains capability to the extent that mass market items like this amp had a North American only power trafo with only a 115V primary.

dave

old amp fixing

hi,
yea i do recognize those ac outlet things....its practically the same on the back of my amp......."switched 150w....and unswitched 200w"(sorry but i dont even know what that is for really...; /)
......just wish i knew more about all this stuff but at least im starting to learn more now.....iv been djing for about 9 yrs but havnt really had much of a chance to learn all the real technical stuff yet,just used common sense up till now when it was needed....but id like to know alot more.
thanks for the pic....i appreciate all the help here as most people i know in my area who know about this stuff would not really help me much!!!!!;(
so cheers,thank god for computers eh...

nicole;)

plugs on amp..

hi hugo...

yea its the standard uk one ...second from the left on your picture.
and it just has a 2 wired lead goin into it from the amp...no earth .
except when i got it someone had previously connected a wire from one of the ground terminals on bk of amp.. to the earth in the plug!!!!!!!!!!!.....pretty sure that this was unnecessary.....but not sure if this amp has the origional mains lead in it still...looks like it but cant be sure.
:xeye:
easy.,
snix..8)

sa9500II

Nicole,

Pls. try to take a picture of the back of your unit and the wirings
so it will be easy for everybody. Its kinda difficult to give you
information if we cannot see part of your unit.
I think everybody here is willing to help, but they are not much
familiar in electrical code there in your country. :)

cheers:)
dce

Joined 2003
Paid Member
djmaiden said:
and makes a very unhealthy noise from the plug..
Nicole,
This simply indicates a broken wire or bad contact near or inside the mains plug as posted above.
You got it right in thinking that the plug you recognized is not likely the original.
In origin, the amp has only two wires and the plug has three pins.
In the past, someone connected a third wire (which was never there) from the plug to the chassis of the amplifier.
This chassis connection or ground therminal(s) are for turntable(s) as many of them need it connected to prevent hum.

Do yourself a favor and take your amp to someone who can fix this, i.e. a local electricity shop. If you're lucky they will fix it instantly and you will learn the most out of looking how they do it and asking a few questions.

The AC outlets on the back are there to provide current to other equipment connected to this amplifier, meaning that the other equipment needs to have a plug that fits in the outlets.
'Switched' will switch on the connected equipment when you switch on the main amp. 'Unswitched' means that the outlet always carries 240V when your amp is connected to the mains.
Don't stick anything in there.

/Hugo :)

pioneer amp

hi hugo,
yes thats what i was thinking...well took that silly piece of wire out which was goin from the t/tables ground to the ac and i will cut the wire down later and see if this solves the dodgy connection.
thanks alot....you have been a help to me ,,,just so i can clarify things ,,,,and can probably fix this myself provided it is just a broken wire inside the mains lead....cheers....
will try it tonight.
easy,
nicole 8)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.