Simulators and clipping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2005, 08:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simulators and clipping

I've run the same circuit in both full versions of AIMspice and TopSpice with this hicup in transient analysis (AC analysis runs fine). My circuit is rather large and complex.

My input source is a sine wave generator. When I raise the amplitude at the input large enough to make the amplifier clip, the output waveform gets all "fuzzy", it has lots of spikes on it. When I lower the amplitude to just below clipping, the output waveform is fine, nice and smooth.

I'm just wondering, is there anything I can do to smooth this out, or is it somethign I have to live with?
Old 13th November 2005, 09:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Simulators and clipping

Quote:
Originally posted by rtarbell
I've run the same circuit in both full versions of AIMspice and TopSpice with this hicup in transient analysis (AC analysis runs fine). My circuit is rather large and complex.

My input source is a sine wave generator. When I raise the amplitude at the input large enough to make the amplifier clip, the output waveform gets all "fuzzy", it has lots of spikes on it. When I lower the amplitude to just below clipping, the output waveform is fine, nice and smooth.

I'm just wondering, is there anything I can do to smooth this out, or is it somethign I have to live with?
if you have an FFT on your sim program you can see all the harmonics mushroom out of nowhere --
Old 13th November 2005, 09:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Simulators and clipping

Quote:
Originally posted by rtarbell

I don't understand what you mean. It looks like your sim does its job well, deep saturation of several stages can produce some peaks and even loss of stability for a moment, because capacitances of active devices are getting much higher at saturation. If you don't like the effect you can trade saturation of active devices for switching of fast diodes.
Old 17th November 2005, 12:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Don't drive your amplifer into hard limiting. That's really your only solution. If you'd like to know WHY it's getting all fuzzy, that's a different question.

Hide this!Advertise here!