speaker vs speaker! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2005, 12:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Default speaker vs speaker!

heres the deal, ive got two sets of speakers
energy c-1
and some 3 ways i found in the garbage (10" seas woofer, 1" textile dome tweet, and a 4" mid (replaced by yours truely), says made in denmark on the back)

Im listening to the 3 ways now, and the woofer isnt crossed over, and the mid only has a low-pass...but for some reason i LOVE the sound coming out of them, it presents a realistic soundstage and theres something very alluring about the way they sound. I have no info on these speakers, but the cabinet is HEAVY and well damped (maybe a sign of quality?). Its realy a guilty pleasure, i love my c-1s but i love these too. I really dont want to have to choose.

does anyone out there suffer the same woes as me? nice speakers, and (not so?) nice cheapies, but they love the sound of the cheapies?

oh and if anyone has info on these guys its more than welcome!
Old 9th November 2005, 01:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Seas drivers are anythng but cheap.
had a pair of small dynaco bookshelves once, 5" and soft tweeter, both were seas drivers.
they would have to be one the most musical speakers i have ever owned.
broke my heart to throw them out.
but after 10 years the drivers were unusable and un unrepairable.
not from neglect, the cones had shifted and distorted.
Old 9th November 2005, 02:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

UPON CLOSER INSPCTION!

the tweeter may also be seas, i didnt check very hard for markings, but the sticker on it was exactly the same format as the woofers!

what confuses me is that the mid was a 4" cheesy foam surround clear cones unit...and was the only driver that wasnt countersunk into the baffle. But i doubt anyone ever made a 2 way speaker with a10" and a 1 inch textile dome tweeter.

i also switched recievers back to my older/more powerful one, this involved moving the speakers and i would once again like to stress how heavy these guys are, theyre about 20-22" tall and they weigh a fair bit.
Old 9th November 2005, 02:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't be 'normal' no, but you never know.
Maybe there was a mid but they were burnt/damaged and someones recut the hole to suit ?
investigation of the wiring may provide clues.
whats the xover on the tweeter like (freq) ?
A really low xover point might indicate a two way.
Old 9th November 2005, 02:29 AM   #5
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

hi xstephanx

in my humble opinion the reason for pleasant sound might not be just the fact that the drivers are seas, it might be the simplicity of the crossover design

interesting reading:
http://www.soundstage.com/interviews/int07.htm

i once had a pair of old pioneer speakers, 12" woofer, 4" midrange and a tweeter, all cone drivers, 70ties or 80ties, highly efficient, had to replace blown midrange, after that the speakers were amazing, dynamic, sweet, pleasant...by all means better than many nowadays high tech speakers....and guess what, they only had two capacitors as crossover! nothing for the woofer

ed
Old 9th November 2005, 02:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

that midrange ideas sounds VERY likely,cause theres NO way this was a two way. i dont know the crossover point for the tweter, but im soon going to put a 800hz high pass filter on the mid, and that should make it a bit better in the mids at high volumes. Ill just use a 12uF cap in series.

i just wish i could find out if theyre white van speakers, all i could find, was that some guy in germany was selling them and another guy in like portugal or something had a pair and wanted to use the woofs for subs.

all it says on the back is made in denmark.
Old 9th November 2005, 03:00 AM   #7
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xstephanx
Its realy a guilty pleasure, i love my c-1s but i love these too. I really dont want to have to choose.

does anyone out there suffer the same woes as me? nice speakers, and (not so?) nice cheapies, but they love the sound of the cheapies?
That's very natural. There are too many compromises in loudspeakers. We cannot just have all the expected quality in one not-very-expensive loudspeaker.

1] Three-way. When it is properly designed, they often show quality that a two-way doesn't have.

2] Fullrange. What L-R speaker has the dynamic/sonic of a fullrange? Passive components, zobel, notch, all kill the sonic and soundstage quality of the loudspeaker. This is the most important factor in enjoying or loving a speaker.

3] Large woofer (along with large box volume). What expensive small loudspeaker can move the air and presence stunning bass and lows (when other components support) the way a large woofer do?

The easiest way to get the most enjoyment out of limited budget IMO is to find fullrange driver, or driver that can use simple crossover with acceptable result. This is because this sonic is so important, and we can still achieve that even with low wattage cheap amplifier. Some "hi-end" loudspeakers sometimes have too many requirements from the driving amplifiers in order to sound good.

The problem with your cheaper speaker is probably harsh sounding mids (due to peaks in mid and woofer) that may create fatigue in long listening. Some people like me has sensitive ears to this kind of distortion. Also the low level details may be less stunning even tho those don't much affect the enjoyment.

You don't have to love any of the speakers. You may love them both. But what if you have to design your own speaker. A bookshelf or a floorstander? Series or L-R?

My 5.25" driver sounds so stunning in a prototype mini floorstander. But I have to choose the transsmision line for it's stunning lows and much cleaner sound (but the main reason was I don't know what to do with the TL enclosure ). And the notch filter was a real compromise. I prefer a notch there, but I need to choose the level of attenuation that maintains acceptable sonic quality, and I need to find a perfect driving amplifiers!

Hide this!Advertise here!