Avoid playing Sony/BMG discs on your computer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Avoid playing Sony/BMG discs on your computer

They will install a rootkit on your Windows machine. This is a VERY dangerous exploit which, quite apart from stealing system resources and possibly destabilising the OS, can allow crackers to exploit your machine without their tasks showing up in the process list.

More information at:

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/xcp_drm.shtml

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html
Old 5th November 2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Be sure to disable autorun on all Windows PCs.
Old 5th November 2005, 09:34 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Rootkit

This is an M$ Windows only problem. Macs unaffected. Linux unaffected.
Old 7th November 2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Rootkit

Quote:
Originally posted by dhaen
Macs unaffected.
par usual
Old 7th November 2005, 04:15 PM   #5
indoubt is offline indoubt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The bad thing is that only legal CD buyers are affected. The ones that purchase CD's get the crap of this sort of copy protection and other DRM junk while the ones that download MP3's don't have a problem.

I've head at least 10 (original) cd's that don't even play in the car (Audi concerto II unit)

With this new development the screwing of your regular paying customers is taken to a new high.
Old 7th November 2005, 04:16 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweeker
Be sure to disable autorun on all Windows PCs.
For the dummies among us, how do we do that?
Old 7th November 2005, 04:37 PM   #7
chrisr is offline chrisr  United States
diyAudio Member

click on my computer > right click on your cd drive, chose propertys, select the autoplay tab, look thru the drop down menu and select take no action then click apply.
Old 7th November 2005, 11:02 PM   #8
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Quote from Grocklaw post.

Quote:
Sony Rootkits - get them while they last
Authored by: Anonymous on Sunday, November 06 2005 @ 04:57 PM EST
I'm sure most of you have read about Sony's Rootkit. For those of you who haven't. I make this post.

(For probably a limited time), Sony is selling Windows rootkits for 14.95 and as a bonus offer, they are throwing in some music to listen to by 20 different artists.

This is the best rootkits available to date by a major reputable software vendor. ANAL, but it appears the EULA allows you to install the rootkit on as many supported Windows computers as you please. It is not limited to personal use either. You can install it on your company's network and your friends' computers.

For those of you who are not aware of the benefits of having a rootkit, I'll gladly explain. A primary advantage is you can quite effectively hide about as many files, programs and directories as you please. Even the best of administrators will not easily know what is on the system. Or for that matter what is running on the system.

Moreover, you can install the rootkit and Sony provides you with great deniability protection. You can say, "I had no idea I was installing a rootkit. I was just listening to music. I even read the license agreement for the media player and the Digital Restrictions Management. There wasn't even a
hint about a rootkit."

To make matters even better, Sony puts obstacles in people's way who may want to remove your rootkit. Their website requires people who want to remove your rootkit to go through a lot of hoops. Also, they have to give up personal information and explain why they want to remove your rootkit.

Even if all they want to do is expose the hidden files, they run into obstacles. For one thing, the 'get permission' form at Sony's website has four required fields. On one of the required fields, the person has to state the name of the Album. If you don't leave the CD in the tray, no one will know the name of the album.

Moreover, you put the person in a position of having to bald faced lie to Sony on another other required form field. This one asks from what store you bought the rootkit from. Due to the fact that they didn't buy the rootkit, they will have to LIE to Sony.

The penalty for not lying to Sony about where they bought the rootkit is: They can't get past the form to get the information to remove the rootkit. Or for that matter, even get the 'service pack' to expose the hidden files and directories.

Although the rootkit could be a security risk, the blame won't (shouldn't) fall on you. You have Sony (who knows a lot more than you), stating that it is not a security risk.

Dated: November 6, 2006

------------------

Normally I don't date posts. The information I posted on this date is accurate as far as I know, but IMO is subject to changes in the immediate future, because a lot of people don't like Sony's rootkits. Therefore, Sony may have to approach things differently in the very near future.
Old 8th November 2005, 12:02 AM   #9
indoubt is offline indoubt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Funny, Just had a nightmare that all the blooks in my dept had installed a rootkit and are playing command and conquer games al day and the admin wouldn't know or could find out.

If these rootkits are spreading like Sony intended than it might be just a matter of time before Large companies are taking on Sony for a legal fight
Old 8th November 2005, 12:24 AM   #10
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
click on my computer > right click on your cd drive, chose propertys, select the autoplay tab, look thru the drop down menu and select take no action then click apply.
I'm running Win 98. After "properties" I have 2 tabs: General & Volumes. Am I threatened or immune to this?

Hide this!Advertise here!