Volume remote control unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, there

I guess any guys have wife or girlfriend would have similar experience. I just built a tube amp and a pair of high sensitive speakers. They work pretty well. But my wife do not like them to sit in living room as our major audio system. Because its volume controlled by a pot not a remoter. She cannot tune the volume in sofa when she is watching DVD.

Are there any easy solution that I can add remote volume control to my tube amp without jeopardizing the tone too much?

Thanks,

Ted

Thanks. I will try to convince her. mi:cool: Meanwhile, I will try to alter some RC toys. I have worked on some remote control model autos when I was a kids. There were some divices turnning a potentiometer to adjust the speed. Similar mechanism might be able to apply here.

warning rc circuits normally operate on rf. means you will get some rf pollution then. go for infared. u could buy the ir kit. the kit acts like a routing station. receives info from the remote. with the info turn's on a particular relay. so with multiple relays turn on differently hooked up some h-bridge and use a stepper motor couple to the volume pot. And u could adjust your volume like a pro:) smallest step size for the stepper motor 1.8 degrees.

I think I'll have to go the stepper motor route

I'm using a shallco switch going through Sowter stepped transformers for my volume control and I don't want to put anything additional in the signal path - using hard wired silver cable in and out of the preamp.

Ken L

She Who Must Be Obeyed....

"She cannot tune the volume in sofa when she is watching DVD. "

I thought most DVD players have remote controlled variable audio output level ?.
If your does not, then maybe an upgrade to one that does would be a fast, cheap and easy way to domestic bliss.
And you would have more time for cooking up audio instead of cooking in the kitchen.

here is an RF remote schematic I ran across a few days ago...
i make no guarantees, as I haven't seen the data sheets of the ICs but the part count does seem quite reasonable. Hope this works out for you, as I would like discover a cheap way to add a remote too.

http://www.citycom.gr/electronics/downcircuits/morecir_3.htm
the number of the circuit on the page is 37.

then you would have to get a digital volume control chip but they are common

I bought one and it's on it's way. I'll tell you more when I get it.

Lligior;

That "Better Volume (and Balance) Controls" by Rod Elliott
looks like just what I needed! Thanks for the link.

-herm

P.S. I am headed to Washington DC and Chicago all
next week, so it may be a while before I get back to you ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.