Volume remote control unit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2002, 10:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Volume remote control unit

Hi, there

I guess any guys have wife or girlfriend would have similar experience. I just built a tube amp and a pair of high sensitive speakers. They work pretty well. But my wife do not like them to sit in living room as our major audio system. Because its volume controlled by a pot not a remoter. She cannot tune the volume in sofa when she is watching DVD.

Are there any easy solution that I can add remote volume control to my tube amp without jeopardizing the tone too much?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 11th October 2002, 12:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The easy way would be buying remote control kit, but it's not the cheapest way. Check the last page of this catalog: http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 11th October 2002, 02:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've never had to adjust the volume after beginning a movie.

I think the best solution is to get rid of your wife. Not only would it solve the problem but it would probably improve the overall tone around the household.
Old 11th October 2002, 02:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default get rid of your wife

Who would be doing the cooking then?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 11th October 2002, 02:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

In the new static free environment peace of mind would prevail. Cooking skills would then come easy.
Old 11th October 2002, 02:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Maybe that is something worth consideration.
Old 11th October 2002, 04:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I will try to convince her. mi Meanwhile, I will try to alter some RC toys. I have worked on some remote control model autos when I was a kids. There were some divices turnning a potentiometer to adjust the speed. Similar mechanism might be able to apply here.
Old 12th October 2002, 05:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

warning rc circuits normally operate on rf. means you will get some rf pollution then. go for infared. u could buy the ir kit. the kit acts like a routing station. receives info from the remote. with the info turn's on a particular relay. so with multiple relays turn on differently hooked up some h-bridge and use a stepper motor couple to the volume pot. And u could adjust your volume like a pro smallest step size for the stepper motor 1.8 degrees.
Old 22nd October 2002, 11:40 PM   #9
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default has anyone actually done this?

I've got the same problem!.

Not the wife part.

I'm the one.

it's a pain in the """""" to keep getting up to adjust the volume when different cd's, etc. play.

Later

Ken L
Old 23rd October 2002, 12:17 AM   #10
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Creek Audio OBH-10 Remote Volume Control

How about replace/rewire your amp's VR with this http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...lume%20Control

Since you're a Diy'er and this thing does cost some money, you might not want to go this route but I'm sure your wife would love this little gadget.

Hide this!Advertise here!