I'm building a new system, but I'm confused about some issues. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2002, 01:39 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I just re-read your initial post, and realized that you mentioned powerful rears for gaming... in that case, maybe my recommendation of the ADP-370 is not appropriate. They are biploar surrounds, great for re-creating ambience in movies, but probably not what you want for gaming. Probably the Mini Monitors, or Monitor 3's would work. Using Monitor 5 or 7's is probably overkill, since most of the bass in this situation is going to come from the sub anyway.
Old 10th October 2002, 10:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok, I've looked at literally 20-30 online sites (and searched this site and google) and I have not been able to find one shop that sells Paradigm speakers online Any suggestions for online shops that deal in Paradigm speakers?

Luckily there is a brick and mortar store about 30 minutes away from me that carries Paradigms, but I would like a web store to price compare. Thanks again guys.
Old 11th October 2002, 01:51 AM   #13
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

For anyone interested in Energy, I recommend http://www.audioshop.on.ca/energycat.htm

The guy that owns the place is great and would probably be more than happy to talk things over with you. Disclaimer: I'm just a satisfied customer.
Old 11th October 2002, 02:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Corn-Picker:

You're right; I couldn't find any on-line pricing for Paradigms either. I found a "suggested retail" price list, but this is probably higher than you would actually pay:

http://www.bradfordshifi.com/prices.htm

There is a store nearby where I usually buy from, which has fairly good pricing on Paradigm stuff. If you check your local store, and find out which models you are interested in, I can check the prices here and convert to US$, for comparison.
Old 11th October 2002, 04:21 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks sparhawk. I found an online store that sells Paradigms (www.audiolab.com), but they have a requirement: Due to local restrictions, most new products we sell are not available by mail order unless you have no local dealer within 100 miles. If you have no local dealer we will be more than happy to assist you.

Perhaps manufacturers like Paradigm have a stipulation that you cannot sell to someone outside of your designated area, so most online manufacturer's do not bother listing Paradigms online

Trioth, I will give Energy speakers an audition as well, they seem highly rated by a lot of people.
Old 11th October 2002, 04:50 PM   #16
herm is offline herm  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe Paradigm does not allow sales online.

You can go to their site and type in your zip code,
and they will show you the closest dealer.

Good speakers for the money, IMO. Mini Monitors
will work just fine for surround. Actually, I find that
their sound is pretty representative of the entire
line. Borrow a set from the dealer an listen to them.

If you like them, you will probably like all of their
stuff.

I own Studio 100's, mini monitors, LCR450 center,
and SB90 and PW2200 subs.
Old 11th October 2002, 04:56 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corn-Picker
right now I'm trying to split money between making a good home audio system or making my WRX go faster
I find myself in the same situation... But I decided to put the WRX on hold till the Spring. Next step is a new turbo and fuel system (I've already gotten as much power out of it as possible with the stock turbo...). I figure over the Winter, I'll build some amps and some speakers, and then go all out with the car in the Spring.

As Sparhawk said, interconnects are a subject under much debate, but my method is figure out what gauge you need, then go a little bit thicker, and then find the best jacketed wire in your budget. Paying $25 a foot for cable is ridiculous, and is pretty much for bragging rights only. That money would be better spent on other areas of the setup.
Old 21st October 2002, 10:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparhawk
Corn-Picker:

There is a store nearby where I usually buy from, which has fairly good pricing on Paradigm stuff. If you check your local store, and find out which models you are interested in, I can check the prices here and convert to US$, for comparison.
Sparhawk I tried to message you but it says the administrator has disabled that option and your email address isn't in your profile so I have to use this message to contact you

If you could the next time you stop by your dealer, check what your local dealer charges for the Sudio/40 and Studio/20. No hurry, I still have to eat Ramen Noodles and brown rice for the next two-three months before I can afford the system I want Plus I still have about 200 feet of CAT 5 cable to braid
Old 23rd October 2002, 04:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'll check the prices next time I'm in the store.
Old 23rd October 2002, 04:40 PM   #20
herm is offline herm  United States
diyAudio Member

If you go to:

http://www.recycledaudio.com/speak.html

They show the list prices of every speaker
paradigm sells.

Hide this!Advertise here!