HID bicycle lights

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello out there:
I have recently been riding with a couple of guys that have these incredible lights. The lights are Xeon High Intensity Discharge. They are sold by a couple of companies and are ridiculously expensive. So I was wondering if any one had DIY'd a set yet and was looking for some help in getting parts. I have made a few other sets of halogen lights but this looks like a bit of a different animal.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I believe the bike lights he is describing are the samee tech as those new HID auto lights that are white/blue. (not the white/blue fake versions)

SCD,
I would first find out from your friends how much the replacement bulb would cost. That might be the first limiting factor. Lots of bike riders here, so there will be some interest. The people that will know the most will be the in the video-moving image forum.

clarification

Thanks Variac.
I have begun that path as well the two companies I am aware of generally only sell replacement bulbs to purchasers of their product (kind of makes sense, keeps guys like me out of their hair).
I suspect the bulb will be available from a supplier it is just a matter of finding out whom that supplier is.
As far as I can figure out so far it is a 13 watt bulb that operates at ~ 13.4 volts. The lumen output is pretty high somewhere near the equivalent of a 45 watt halogen MR11 bulb@ 6volts. The retail price is crazy, I suspect the availablity of the bulb will control the DIY crowd for now.
I will keep trying. There are many creative people out there
Thanks for the help

HID bulbs do indeed required a high-voltage ballast. Just a hint for auto types, if it doesn't cost at least $300 US for your first light, it's not an HID system.

There are many vendors out there selling out-of-spec halogen bulbs with a blue tint. As a bonus, the inert gas they choose is often Xenon. People think these are HID. Unscrupulous vendors have been known to call them HID conversion bulbs or similar. But, the fact of the matter is, they aren't HID!

In fact, the biggest difference between HID and incandescent bulbs is that HID bulbs have an electrical arc in place of a filament.

Wes

Andrew:

I can definately confirm this for automobiles, but not push bikes. Given the electrical requirements, I find it difficult to believe that they exist for the latter.

They come as OEM equipment on certain high-end autos. They cast a blue-white light, and will not have high/low-beam (dip) functionality integrated into one housing. Where this is desirable, motors have been used to raise/lower the enclosure.

Notes for anyone wanting to "convert" their car -- optical requirements for an incandescent filament and an HID arc are VERY different!! An effective kit would have to include:

- Reflector
- Lense
- Bulbs
- Ballast
- High/Lo beam solution
- Wiring harness

Daniel Stern, a very smart (professional) automotive lighting guy, discusses this at length: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Wes

HID

Yes the lights are Xenon. 13 watt consumption @ 13.4 v DC
Yes folks the lights are for "push bikes"
Yes they are ridiculously expensive
That is why I wanted to find out if any one had taken on the DIY challenge yet. It seems that no one here has yet.
Thanks for the interest.
I will keep looking

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Supurb detective work. I've been riding a lot more lately and a great light would help in the winter. A friend of mine just paid $380 for one. It is very slickly designed, and amazinly bright, but more -it has a wide beam. We can do something cheaper and maybe better I'm sure!

BUT they have assembled systems at great prices- might be hard to top:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=738

Thanks guys I think we are in line for intersting bike light construction now.
I have been riding with few fellows that have the Night Rider, and Light and Motion system. They are truely amazing lights.
I think I will be making something this year.

Hmmmm Christmas is soon... To me, love me, just what I really wanted.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The HID lights are very, very, bright. These are for people that ride trails at night or lond didtance rides in the country. For many bike lights leds would be fine, but even lots of them can't compare w/ HID

I sent the info about this company to a very serious bilke rider I know and he actually knew of them, said he had bought one, and it failed quickly. I will find out more...

Hello LineSource:

I do not think it is a question of right or wrong. It is more a question of how much light intensity is available given the type of riding. I am riding through dense conifer forest on narrow trails that have a lot of obstacles at a fairly high rate of speed. It is critical to be able to see extremely well.

I have not seen a light system yet that can out perform the HID. I have a friend that is using an LED system and it just does not meet the task.
This state of the art stuff and boy does it perform. It is hjust really expensive.
thanks for the comments

I'm thinking of building some HID lights for trail riding as well. There is quite a bit of discussion here, but I haven't really gone through it yet:

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I remember seeing some talk of someone buying the bulb and balast for around $100 USD-the rest is just like a halogen system, except I believe you may want/need to add some sort of voltage regulation on the battery output. Seems to me like you could put one together for a lot less than they sell for. And you're right, those things are incredible. Everyone seemed to have a set at the last 24hr race I did, and they are pretty much like riding in daylight. They make my 15W halogen setup seem like a birthday candle in comparison.

I did one of those 24 hour mtn bike races about 2 years ago. I got to use both led lights and HID lights. Its literally the difference between night and day. The led lights simply dont have anywhere near the output to be able to ride a trail at an effective speed.

As a side note: if your going to make one, make it helmet mounted. What happens when your going around a switchback with a handlebar mounted HID at night....:xeye:

From what I have read, LEDs last at least 200x longer than HID, are more energy efficient in mcd/watt, are more rugged and allow instant on/off. One 5 watt and two 3 or 5 watt white LEDs sound attractive to me. Reflectors and an aluminum heatsink seem the basic building blocks

Attachments

• el700rc_main.jpg
    el700rc_main.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 348
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.