Step down tranformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2005, 12:06 PM   #1
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Default Step down tranformer

Is a step down transformer (250 to 110 volts) out of the question for a 6 100w Panasonic home theatre receiver (digital amp technology - so high effeciency). What size would it have to be to not limit the power of the receiver?

I have a daughter going to New York in Nov and I thought of getting her to pick up a panny SA-XR55 digital amplifier/home theatre receiver to bring home to Ireland - the price difference is substantial 450 euro compared to $250 - almost pay for the flight. The only difference I believe is the power? But I wondered if it would require a huge stepdown transformer? I also thought that there might be an isolation advantage in running off a transformer - keeping mains DC out of receiver?

Has anybody done this sort of thing and what results?

John
Old 17th October 2005, 12:23 PM   #2
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Just another thought - how difficult would it be to modify the Switched Mode Power Supply to deal with 250v from 110v?

I'm surprised more people haven't tried this approach based on the price differential between Ireland & UK verses US (410 euro Irl 250UK $250US).

Mind you the price in Germany is 250euro but another 80euro shipping plus VAT at 21%.

John
Old 18th October 2005, 12:14 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If it uses a switcher, there may well be a voltage jumper wire inside, or a switch, or it could even be a universal input switcher. Contact Panasonic and ask them. Tell them you are moving and ask if the unit can be switched over. There may be additional small details like safety caps from the mains lines to chassis and similar.

ANy piece of gear should have its mains draw printed on the rear panel. That would be the maximum power the thing pulls from the wall to do its job. A 100 watt output amplifier might need 300 watts from the mains to produce that output power,. Your stepdown transformer would need to provide at least that much. But you don't want to try to power the system with a tranny just barely able to power it, so you need to add an operating margin of at least 50% or preferably more. In my example that means I would need at least a 450 watt transformer and preferably a 600 watt one.

Hide this!Advertise here!