CD Lathe - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2005, 11:33 AM   #1
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default CD Lathe

I just sent some of my CD through a CD lathe to get the edges scraped to 36 degrees. Comparing the same CD on the same machine, the machined CD give better transients. I wonder if anyone else has exprenced this kind of machining on their CDs?
Old 27th October 2005, 11:53 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Have you tried different angles?
Old 28th October 2005, 12:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

How can the angle of the edge of a cd possibly affect the sound? If the cd is not concentric then I can see it causing vibration when spinning...
Old 28th October 2005, 12:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It is supposed to minimize reflelction of light from the edges, so it is another way of doing the same thing as the pen trick.

(I am not saying that it works, but this is how it is claimed to work.)
Old 28th October 2005, 12:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

In theory, when light goes through acrylic or similar material, some radiation will ocurr (this characteristic is used in some aircraft backlit panels), thus causing some error in the data being read from the disk. A slanted edge threoretically will reduce this radiated light from reflecting back into the material. In the early days of CD, there was a product that used a marker to color the CD edge. The CD lathe does a 36 degree cut in addition to the marker.

I just wanted to know whether anyone else had used this product before.
Old 28th October 2005, 12:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Have you tried different angles?

No. There was just a product being sold here, and a brought in a few CD which I had two of just to test it. I can hear a difference, but on my system, it really is not significant enough such that I feel it necessary to do on all CDs.
Old 28th October 2005, 11:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Oh cr@p...here we go again...

Do you even have any idea whatsoever what a data error sounds like? Do you have even the faintest idea how the data is read, and if errors are found, corrected!?

Tim
Old 28th October 2005, 04:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm just asking what other people have experienced. If someone has tried it and heard a difference, or if someone has tried it and did not hear a difference. I did not open this thread for a debate, just to see what people have experienced in reality.
Old 28th October 2005, 05:25 PM   #9
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

I warm up my CD's in microwave, this way I dont need to wait cd to warm up inside cd-player and i get constant transient response every time, any day. For best results use power for 10-15 secs, some experimentation and listening is needed to get timing right for invidual microwave ovens. now for real, dont try this at home.
Old 28th October 2005, 05:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I almost tried something like that with an amp in an oven. People do work on melting metal in a microwave. You probably could get some art work out of those CDs.

Hide this!Advertise here!