Boosting wireless home phone range/antenna ->5.8ghz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i purchased a wireless home phone, for my company
from Costco , it was a good deal at 150$ with 3 receivers and 3 charging bases ( only 1 is the antenna )

the quality is superb, the handsets are nice
but the range is bad ..i was replacing a giga range panasonic 2.4ghz and i thought that this one was going to be at least equivalent, but it is not at all ..

so i was wondering if any of you ever tried to boost up the range of such devices ?

is there a way to built a bigger antenna and maybe put it outside on top of the building ?

the models is :
http://www.uniden.com/product.cfm?product=TCX400

well it is the same handset, but similar base

from Uniden

if you have any idea ..

Hmm, doesn't the wireless A (?) wifi protocol operate at 5.8gig? I think it does. I'm sure there are a multitude of antennas you can pick up in that band, from highly directional to omnidirectional sticks...

I'd bet a 10-15dB job could get you to the next county :clown: but I think that would be subject to a 'bit' too much interference!

how can i do that ??? :p

i don't wanna go out 2km with the phone,

but i need it to work all around my work place
wich is roughly 500 by 500 feet

it ismostly outside, problem is more with metal
interferring the way ( almot 1000 cars now ..eheh )

do you have any link on wich i could see how this works just to get a quick idea ?

i guess that to get a few db up i'll need a signal booster?? or amplifier ??

That would probably work fine. Yes, the tough part would be in hooking it up. Low loss cable would be important if you get too long otherwise you mat not reap any benefit. I'd make sure the ant. operating freq. is within the band of your phone.

I once heard of a farmer with your problem. He put the entire phone base on the peak of his barn under a 5 gallon bucket. He ended up with acres of coverage. You'd be surprised what a little height will do!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.