Demagnetising Tool/Tool Demagnetiser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it would subsequently need to be demagnetized?

">The mechanism used to focus the laser assembly is electro-magnetic.<

More specifically, it is usually very similar to the voice-coil of a loudspeaker driver.

Many disc clamping mechanisms also utilize magnetic operation.

regards, jonathan carr"

The soldiers were silent, and looked at Alice, as the question was evidently meant for her.

`Yes!' shouted Alice.

Alice

There are probably trace amounts of ferric materials in the dust on the disc as well as the stuff in the disc label (on MY discs, not your's- I know you keep YOUR discs cleaner than I keep mine). I suppose from a philosophical point of view, as long as one magnetic molecule remains on the disc, it COULD have some effect on the sound. And by that logic, a disc demagnetizer COULD have some effect on the sound as well.

There, you've beaten me into submission - I've admitted that a disk demagnetizer could have some effect. Now I think I'll go try out the rumor I've heard about self-trepanation improving the sound of my system. Anyone care to join me?

MR

It is sometimes hard to keep an open mind...

/UrSv

A boat, beneath a sunny sky,
Lingering onward dreamily
In an evening of July -
Children three that nestle near,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Pleased a simple tale to hear -

Long has paled that sunny sky:
Echoes fade and memories die:
Autumn frosts have slain July.

She still haunts me, phantomwise,
Alice moving under skies
Never seen by waking eyes.

Children yet, the tale to hear,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Lovingly shall nestle near.

In Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die:

Ever drifting down the stream -
Lingering in the golden gleam -
Life, what is it but a dream?

Come to think of it, I did an experiment some time ago, painting
a CDR black on the top side and outer rim using black acrylic
paint. It didn't work. The CD player refused to play beyond
some 40 seconds. I never investigated the matter, but now it
is suddenly all clear to me. I used Mars black, which is an iron
oxide pigment. Guess I have to demagnetize it. ;) ;)

Floppy Sonics

There was a suggestion a while back about cracking open a 3.5" floppy and placing the floppy disc ontop the cd disc before loading into the player.
I tried this with a 5 1/4" floppy (I trimmed 10 mm from the diameter) and it did change the sound subtley.
First impressions were that I did not particularly like the change and I have not got back to trying it again.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.