quicktime for windows - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2005, 12:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default quicktime for windows

I am attempting to take an online course. In order to view the presentations I am told that I must have Quicktime 5 or above installed. Since, I do not have Windows 2000 I am not able to install versions 6 or 7. I opted to install version 5 and have been unable to locate a download program for this. I even looked on Apple.com since it is an Apple program. In my search, I came across Softpedia.com and was directed to install Quicktime alternative 1.48 in lieu of Quicktime 5. After installing the program successfully (I think), I have been unable to get the program to work because I continue to be told that I need Quicktime 5 or higher. My question is: How do I get the program to recognize Quicktime alternative OR can anyone send me a link to download Quicktime 5? Thanks!

Serosmaness
Old 9th October 2005, 12:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A lot of interactive games I have seen (sorry none at this time) required quicktime and actually had it on the CD rom. Maybe you can dig up some old game or something and find it right in your library?
Old 9th October 2005, 03:19 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmm....

I should have all the Mac versions, but i'll have to go looking for a PC version. It did come on a lot of game & magazine disks.

dave
Old 9th October 2005, 04:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

We had Quicktime on our computer but then I reformated the harddrive to eliminate a virus.
I do not recall where we aquired the program but I do know that we don't have any games.
S.M
Old 9th October 2005, 05:12 AM   #5
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Default Re: quicktime for windows

Quote:
Originally posted by serosmaness
I am attempting to take an online course. In order to view the presentations I am told that I must have Quicktime 5 or above installed. Since, I do not have Windows 2000 I am not able to install versions 6 or 7. I opted to install version 5 and have been unable to locate a download program for this. I even looked on Apple.com since it is an Apple program. In my search, I came across Softpedia.com and was directed to install Quicktime alternative 1.48 in lieu of Quicktime 5. After installing the program successfully (I think), I have been unable to get the program to work because I continue to be told that I need Quicktime 5 or higher. My question is: How do I get the program to recognize Quicktime alternative OR can anyone send me a link to download Quicktime 5? Thanks!

Serosmaness

Which version of windows are you running? If windows 98, quicktime 6 should work... I've just reformatted and reinstalled a windows 98 computer for a friend of mine and I installed Quicktime 6 on that without a hitch. If however, your still back in the days of windows 95, let me know and I'll temporarily upload a copy of quicktime 5 for you (I have archives of most popular freeware and shareware back to 1999 or so ... yes literally hundreds of cd's worth).
Old 9th October 2005, 10:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dan.
We were able to get Quicktime alternative to work
We are running Windows 98 and everytime we went to download Quicktime that would work with 98. Apple would only let us download Quicktime 7.0
So we used Quicktime alternative.
Steve
Thanks again Dan
Old 9th October 2005, 11:42 PM   #7
tja is offline tja  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Dan.
We were able to get Quicktime alternative to work
We are running Windows 98 and everytime we went to download Quicktime that would work with 98. Apple would only let us download Quicktime 7.0
So we used Quicktime alternative.
Steve
Thanks again Dan

If you still want Quicktime 5 some time in the future, take a look at

www.oldversion.com

They've got lots of old stuff.

Take
Old 10th October 2005, 07:06 AM   #8
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Apple would only let us download Quicktime 7.0
Yes I know their website is a pain. I have the complete install files for it so I can completely avoid the website.
Old 10th October 2005, 01:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help. You are awesome .
www.oldversion.com was or is just what I was looking for.
thanks again.
Serosmaness
Old 10th October 2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

www.oldversion.com is good but far from complete .... the relevant example being that they don't have quicktime 6 in their archives.

Hide this!Advertise here!