Jacket Heater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
Winter is around the corner and I really HATE the cold :bawling: , so I was wondering if there was any way to heat my jacket.
I was thinking if resistance wire (not sure if that is the correct name for it), and I would somehow loop it on the inner layer of my jacket.
I would buy a rechargable SLA 12v battery, and use a LM317 to control the heat by adjusting the voltage.
I will use it for about 15 - 30 min at a time so a small SLA battery should do, I think :xeye: .

My biggest issue is finding a good heating element, and at the same time not setting myself on fire :hot: . I really dont mind walking around with some batteries in my pockets.

What do you guys think, is this possible? :smash:

Thanks
Lawrence

Plenty of commercial offerings. You need to check out motorcycle forums. Gerbring and Widder are two big makers. You can probably a cheap heated vest at your local moto store for $70.

As for using resistance wire to do this -- it HAS been done. The problem is making something that will *last* and not burn the hell out of you.

I know this is DIY-land, and we're all supposed to be Rugged Technological Individualists, but how is wiring yourself up like a Christmas tree better than just getting a good parka? I come from the coldest part of Canada, and we never needed batteries to keep us warm, even at -40.

Francois.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.